Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ricky's first triops attempt; "Ghost Triops"
Topic Started: Aug 1 2018, 11:19 AM (145 Views)
RickyRicardo
Egg
For this attempt I'm using eggs from toyops, labeled as ghost triops. I've heard that they're albino cancriformis. I'm using a 2.5 gallon tank to hatch them filled halfway.
The water I'm hatching them with is RODI water with 0 TDS, since I've heard that hatch rares are increased when that water has less minerals. I'm using an led light above them 24/7 for the first 2 days to hatch them. Once they start hatching I'll be adding a hornwort plant from my display tank.
Day 1: The eggs have been added to the tank, now we wait!
Day 2: I see a few little guys swimming around the tank.
I'll be posting pictures later today.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Technoduck
Member Avatar
Bad Owner
Ooohh sounds great! Post pics if possible!
Posted Image

RickyRicardo
Egg
Ok so the triops are a little hard to find sometimes, so I don't have an exact count on them but I have begun to feed them. I'm mixing the green powder with water and using a pipette to drop the mixture above the triops. I've also begun to slowly drip in water from one of my aquariums, since atm their water is RODI and too pure for growing triops I would think.

notostracan
Member Avatar
Shrimp Lady
Wishing you luck, the first few days are always the most tricky! Adding hornwort from another tank and starting with low TDS water is a good indication you have a good idea of what your doing though, so you should do great.

You have heard correctly, the Toyops "Ghost Triops" should be Triops cancriformis "albino", a red coloured form from the rice paddies of Japan, where they were/are purposely introduced to eat mosquito larvae and weeds in the rice crop.

However, judging by past threads here and reviews I have seen elsewhere, the triops species in the Toyops kits sometimes get mixed up/contaminated, so there is a chance you could have any of the commercially available species ;) .

Please do post pics if you get the chance :) .
Edited by notostracan, Aug 4 2018, 08:32 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RickyRicardo
Egg
Thank you I'll be posting pics and an update tomorrow, I tried uploading a pic but it says only 200kb per file.
Edited by RickyRicardo, Aug 8 2018, 12:42 AM.

RickyRicardo
Egg
Here is the triop tank that they are hatching in.
Day 7
I've spotted 3 large troops and all of a sudden I saw another triop, and then another one. So I have a total of 5 triops that I know of. Hopefully the larger ones don't eat the 2 smaller ones, but for now they're all getting along. I'm gonna start preparing the adult tank later today.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 20180802_104630_8.jpg (63.29 KB)

RickyRicardo
Egg
Day 9
The triops have been growing so fast! I still have 5 triops 1 significantly larger than the other 4, 2 about the same size slightly smaller, and the other 2 triops are much smaller than the other 3. I've been feeding them the pellets in their kit but today I switched them to some new life spectrum food. I am also dripping in some more water from my larger aquarium since most of their current water is rosi. I'm gonna fill the tank up to the top atm it's only filled halfway. Hopefully the transition to the 10 gallon will go smoothly.
I will be using pool filtration sand and some hornwort in their setup. Any recommendations to how deep the sand should be? I can't wait till they lay eggs!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 20180807_192553_13.jpg (77.44 KB)

RickyRicardo
Egg
Really sad news :( All the triops but 1 have died today. The day after I filled their tank up. What could have caused their deaths? I added prime conditioner to the tap water.

RickyRicardo
Egg
I'm really bummed out about this. I was so excited to have hundreds of eggs

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
sorry your tank crashed, but if you take care of your lone triops, she can still lay you many eggs, assuming she is a hermaphradite.

also, if you still have your eggs from the kit, you can dry it out and try again. eggs rarely hatch in there entirety so hydrating them again may hatch more.

RickyRicardo
Egg
What should I do differently on my second attempt to ensure this doesn't happen again? I'm planning on letting the eggs sit in RODI water for 10 hours then transferring to a tank with regular tap water with prime conditioner. So they can have minerals and nutrients, opposed to hatching in RODI water with no minerals or nutrients.

notostracan
Member Avatar
Shrimp Lady
How is your single remaining triops doing?

Really hoping your survivor thrives, as Slash0mega mentions, if it is T.cancriformis Albino she will most likely be a hermaphrodite capable of self-fertilising, so you could still get many eggs. If not, you could fully dry out the sand and try again (some cysts only hatch on the second or third hydration).

Please don't be too bummed, even though triops kits are sold as toys, they aren't that easy to raise when they are small - just read the mixed Amazon reviews for any triops kit! They are very messy creatures that are also pretty sensitive to ammonia in addition to lots other things that wouldn't affect fish, but they also tend to be kept in aquariums relatively small in volume where the water can turn bad fast. Also it doesn't help that they are generally kept in tanks without mature bio-filters because any effective filter could hurt the nauplii and they grow faster than a bio-filter can "cycle" to detoxify the ammonia they produce :lolD: . Getting to day 9 on your first attempt isn't bad at all IMO - especially if you enjoyed those 9 days with them and you learnt something :thumbup: .
Quote:

What should I do differently on my second attempt to ensure this doesn't happen again?

Without testing the water parameters or seeing the tank, nobody could really be so sure what happened TBH. However, were you using any filter in this case? By day 9 they looked a decent size, so I presume you were feeding them at least a few granules of fish food a couple of times a day? By day 9 I would aim to have the tank already full of water and would probably have already done a couple of small water changes too. If you already have a healthy aquarium with a mature bio-filter, you could use that to keep any cheap air-powered sponge filter cycled and then add it to the triops tank. It's more expensive and not needed, but you could also use "chemical filtration" in the form of something like Polyfilter in an air-powered box filter or my favorite filter for triops (but absolutely rubbish for any fish) the Penn-Plax Smallworld filter. The Smallworld filter is great because the plastic "cage" around the sponge and carbon prevent triops from eating/shredding the sponge, so you can re-use it, you can also cut open and very cheaply replace the media. It's also good because, being a chemical based (carbon and zeolite) filter, it works to clean the water instantly without having to be cycled, and if you don't replace the media it will also cycle and turn into a bio-filter over time.

If you have no effective filter, you will need to be doing frequent large water changes, or growing a lot of healthy fast-growing aquatic plants....or just get very lucky with your tank placement (with regards to light/temperature) so algae grows and takes care of the water conditions for you, as happens occasionally for people who buy the triops toy kits and properly follow the instructions.

I've been raising triops for over 15 years now and still sometimes experience issues at the start, as evidenced by my recent failed T.australiensis Queensland log lol. Once they get to a decent size and the tank conditions stabilise (any filter would greatly help) things do get much easier. Also, once they look like miniature versions of the adults, don't be too shy with water changes, I've done 2 x 50%+ water changes with adult triops every day sometimes and it only helped (though was kinda overkill lol).

Quote:

I'm planning on letting the eggs sit in RODI water for 10 hours then transferring to a tank with regular tap water with prime conditioner. So they can have minerals and nutrients, opposed to hatching in RODI water with no minerals or nutrients.

I've never tired doing it that way, but I can't see why it wouldent work as long as you transfer the cysts before they hatch (transferring nauplii from near-pure RODI into tap water would harm them). If you try this, please let us know what your hatch rate is is like and of course how the rest of it goes :) .
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RickyRicardo
Egg
Thank you so much for the thoughtful response. I'm gonna be trying a second attempt with some t. Longicaudatus soon. I'll probably start them off the same as with these guys but this time I'll slowly drip in water over the course of several days till it fills up. I'll also keep a heater in there, more plants, gonna add more limestone for calcium, and I'll keep track of the water parameters. I didn't keep track of them since people always say that they are very hardy in poor water conditions. Luckily I do have several filters and sponge filters I could use and I could cycle them in another aquarium in the meantime. I'll make a new log soon thanks for helping on this one! I really appreciate this community here.

RickyRicardo
Egg
Maybe I just added the water too fast and it shocked them because they died right after adding the new water. I already have some more back up kits lol really cheap on amazon from toyops and ship fast.

« Previous Topic · Triops Tank Logs · Next Topic »
Add Reply