Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Use of Limestone for Exoskeleton Development?
Topic Started: Apr 2 2018, 11:27 AM (67 Views)
Technoduck
Member Avatar
Bad Owner
Hey guys, after digging up my kits recently, I've found that they came with limestone to boost shell development. Have any of you guys tried using them? i'm aware that they'll raise calcium levels in the water, but this will also raise the ph won't it? How will this affect triops?
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

notostracan
Member Avatar
Shrimp Lady
"Limestone" can be very useful for raising the pH and adding minerals (mainly just calcium) which is great for growing triops as they can use this calcium in developing their exoskeleton, but it could also be detrimental to hatching triops at the beginning. Whether or not limestone is useful to you depends on the composition of the water you are using. If you have relatively soft water (low concentration of minerals) with an acidic or roughly neutral pH, then it could be beneficial to add some limestone after the triops hatch. If you already have "harder" water with a pH above 7.0, then it will not be much use, as the limestone will only start to dissolve and add minerals to the water below ph 7.0.

Btw, what I am saying applies to "limestone", but also to any sea shells collected on the beach, tufa rock, sandstone and many other types or rock that contain an appreciable amount of calcium, such as the "ocean rock" you can buy at pet shops for marine aquariums.

IMO, adding a few sea shells or some locally sourced sandstone is a good idea for most triops tanks, especially if you have soft/acidic water. It will do no harm if you already have hard/alkaline water though (well, apart fro displacing valuable water volume in small triops tanks).

As indicated above, I would add them after the triops have hatched, as studies show triops hatch best in soft water with no mineral content (like fresh rain water).

If your triops have already hatched, and you have some limestone chips or sea shells (make sure they aren't varnished) lying around, just chuck them in the tank :) .
Edited by notostracan, Apr 6 2018, 10:50 PM.

Technoduck
Member Avatar
Bad Owner
Alright, I see. Since I live near soft water, I'd guess limestone would be great for my Triops. Thanks for the reply!
Posted Image

Myths
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
Notostracan is right on.. It's funny how the mindset with commercial kits has changed over the past decade or so. They used to promote the softest water conditions possible; distilled mostly. Now they're advising against distilled in favor of spring water and including limestone.

I'm fortunate in that by having naturally "hard" well water at my disposal, I can usually switch my guys into an ideal mineral bath after hatching them using distilled without the need for supplements like limestone. Sometimes I wish it were plausible to ship some of this water to fellow enthusiasts.

« Previous Topic · Triops Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply