Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
supremelorax's Tank; Starting March 2018
Topic Started: Mar 6 2018, 01:41 AM (302 Views)
supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
I have started this tank log after several failed attempts at raising triops from the nauplius stage to adulthood.

My first attempt (T1) used a sample of detritus that also contained the eggs of several other diapausal orgaisms. The triops hatched successfully but may have become outnumbered by seed shrimp and other organisms and did not survive.

Posted Image

My second attempt used eggs from a Triassic Triops (Toyops Brand) kit and I used spring water but after three days had no hatchling.

My third and fourth attempt used eggs from an ebay seller and distilled water. In both attempts I had hatchling that lasted several days before the population died out.

My fifth attempt mixed eggs from both aforementioned distributors and I also diluted the spring water with distilled. I had an increase in hatchlings but a population die out by day 4 or 5.

My sixth attempt used slightly more spring water in a ratio of about 4:1 with distilled water and had an increase in hatchlings. I had four or five young triops last for several days before die out, and I had three survive for about a week before they started to die off. The single remaining triops lived for a week and I added some various nauplii from other organisms as food as well as a small ‘island’ of algae and substrate from another hatching tank. This also ended in failure. A major challenge for this experiment was keeping enough water in the bowl due to evaporation.

Temperature remained pretty constant through all of these experiments between 76 and 80*F . All experiments were done in a glass bowl. The first two experiments used an incandescent bulb of 60W. The rest of the experiments used a 55W CFL bulb with a 250W equivalence. The plant organisms really like this. All triops were t. Longicaudatus.

Seventh is the charm right? My hope is to keep more detailed notes and develop that ‘blue thumb.’

Other current tanks and cultures include the original first experiment ‘tank’ (T1) and a culture of seed shrimp (S1) (from a mix of several organisms but it looks like the seed shrimp crowded everyone else out of existence).

Posted Image

Time and Date Format = Time.Day.Month.Year

10:00.3.3.2018 - I am using a wider and flatter plastic container for this experiment (T7). I mixed spring and distilled water at a 5:1 ratio and let it sit under the light. I sprinkled some dried out oak leaf into the water. When the temperature rises to the appropriate level I will add the eggs and hope for the best.

Posted Image

20:00.3.3.2018 - I notice something that is not a seed shrimp in the seed shrimp culture (S1) and it has some coloration. I extract it and take a look with the microscope and it turns out it is a daphnia ready to burst with eggs. I isolate it to a separate culture and scan for more. Nothing. I add several clumps of algae and scum from T1 and the seed shrimp immediately cluster around it. I add some to the daphnia ‘culture’ (D1) as well and several organisms fall off. I identify these as detritus worms and remove them back to T1.

Posted Image

During the previous night, while scanning through T1 and preparing to dehydrate for use as detritus in case T7 fails, I find hundreds of tiny seed shrimp and begin extracting them to S1 along with as much loose scum as I can grab. There are probably too many to ever finish moving them over. Tonight, I find two more daphnia and move them to D1. I also find something orange and flipping around wildly in the muck… I identify it under the microscope as a 1-2 day old triops nauplius! I extract it and move it to another container (T7a) along with some detritus and what I identify as juvenile daphnia which I leave in. If this nauplius can actually survive I might move it to T7 but I am worried it might eat any newly hatched nauplii that emerge over the next few days. I have been dumping the waste water and unhatched eggs from failed experiments into T1 and this must be where this surprise came from.

I add around 30-40 eggs to T7 which contain a mix of Triassic Triops and the other eggs I purchased off of ebay. The water is about 76*F.

3:30.4.3.2018 - The triops nauplius has grown quite a bit over night and has a nice light brown coloring.

19:45.4.3.2018 - The larger daphnia in D1 has definitely released some of her brood as there seem to be at least a half dozen juvenile daphnia swimming around. T7a is doing great and seems to be thriving. I also notice some juvenile daphnia in here that might make a great snack in a few days. I raised the water level about an ounce each time I checked during the day using just spring water. The inhabitants of T1 are all crowding around the corners where the light is the strongest. I will make one more grab for them as the water evaporates.

T7 has 5 or 6 nauplii swimming around in it! Each has a pinkish or orange coloration and they seem to be very vigorous. The water level had dropped almost a centimeter so I worked on adding water slowly every half hour until I got it close to the original level. I also worked on sinking more leaf fragments and eggs.

S1 is thriving with the huge nebula of scum and algae. There are clouds and swarms of seed shrimp swimming around and feeding.

3:30.5.3.2018 - Everything looks fine. I added water back in to all tanks due to evaporation. I am using only spring water for everything now as I work toward slowly adjusting some of these cultures for use in the main tanks. Speaking of the main tanks, I found the giant seed shrimp I thought had died a week ago. It did die. Apparently it was hanging around a rock and somehow the rock ended up against the side of the tank with ‘Scuttles’ trapped between. What a shame.

19:45.5.3.2018 - The solo triops in T7a seems to have disappeared. I can’t find a body or any remnants. There do seem to be more daphnia now.

I counted 7 triops in T7. The temperature outside and in my house is falling considerably tonight which could have a negative effect for these little ones so I adjusted the thermostat.

The seed shrimp culture in S1 has decimated the scum and algae I put in there which is now spreading on the massive amount of waste that is collecting.

Posted Image

9:30.6.3.2018 - There are four tiny dead triops bodies (in the photo you can see two in the yellow circle) although one is still moving a little bit. The green circle has one of the healthy ones which is considerably bigger in size.

Posted Image

There is one that is jerking around like something is wrong with it (maybe molting?) and two much larger more robust triops. Looks like the experiment is failing again! I added some of the ‘baby’ food that was included in one of the kits which contain algae meal and other such tasty triops things. I dipped the tip of a paperclip in some water and then swirled a very minute amount of the green powder into the tank. It seems too early to feed but something is not right. The temperature is still holding steady. I noticed that the dead triops are white. The ones that are still alive don’t really have much coloration but they are between 2 and 3 days old. I will check back soon to see if anything changes.

I have also included videos of the 'jerky' triops and the two 'healthy' ones. The embed feature doesn't seem to work for these so here are the links:
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6832.MOV
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6833.MOV

20:00.6.3.2018 - Two triops remain in 7 and I still worry about how white they are. There isn’t much coloration at all. S7 has been drained and the majority of seed shrimp were added to the aquacolumn, a tall tower shaped tank. The remaining seed shrimp and waste waste was added to the 3 gallon tank to try to add some nutrients for the plants and to jump start the population of ‘edibles’ if I ever can get a few triops to adulthood. T1 is almost completely dried out and will be sent to the freezer tomorrow for a few days. I will be adding triops eggs to it and giving it a second go. There should be plenty of other organisms in there for them to chew on.

3:45.7.3.2018 - T7 is a failure. Only one triops remains and he is very translucent, which doesn’t seem right. I am going to try going back to the 60W incandescent for T8.

9:30.7.3.2018 - Introducing T8. The ultimate culmination of everything I have and haven’t learned. The one survivor in T7 doesn’t look so good but is still hanging in there and swimming. I switched the light to a 60W incandescent and rearranged the whole hatching area. T8 has a substrate of sand mixed with the detritus from T1. Let’s hope for the best with this one. I am using pure distilled water as that seems to match more with what would happen naturally. A low osmotic pressure mixing with natural substrates to slowly release the minerals needed to support life.

Posted Image
Posted Image

11:00.7.3.2018 - The temperature is reading 85*F in T8 so I angle the light a bit to try to reduce the heat. It looks like T7 has finally crashed. S1a is a new bowl that contains two seed shrimp I pulled out T1 as it was dehydrating. They seem to really be enjoying a little extra heat. S1a and D1 are out of the direct area of light. I add a mix of eggs from Toyops and ebay.

19:30.7.3.2018 - While gazing into the depths of of T8 I see something start wiggling and jerking around. Could it be? It is a small orange triops nauplius that quickly rises to the surface, possibly to get its first meal. It has only been about 8 or 9 hours since I added the eggs. I have never had a hatchling emerge this quickly before. The temperature reads 78*F.

3:30.8.3.2018 - I can see a single triops nauplius swimming around. It seems to have progressed to a more ‘triops-like’ stage and seems to be very happy. I am going to guess that this is the same one I observed last night as I see nothing else stirring in here yet.

15:15.8.3.2018 - There are definitely more than one triops in here. One is getting quite large and looks like a mini adult with some coloration. It swims so gracefully through the water. There is also at least one or two smaller triops that must have hatched during the night as they look beyond the initial nauplius stages.

19:30.8.3.2018 - The triops seem to really prefer swimming around the light streak of sand in the middle of T8 where I dragged the thermometer through to create a trench. This makes it hard to see them. There are a few other tiny triops scurrying around at the bottom over algae clumps. The largest one started doing acrobatics (aquabatics?) near the surface of the water before doing several loops all the way to the bottom. They definitely look happy and anything else that laid eggs in this sediment will be popping out in the next day or two. Yummy.

9:30.9.3.2018 - There are definitely at least three triops at this point. The largest one is double the size of the longest living triops (6 days) I have raised in this series of experiments. I am going to guess food was one of the issues. These triops all have a nice long digestive tract full of food that is easily visible. Besides the largest one there is a medium and small one as well. There may be others but it is very hard to track any but the largest one at this point. I also saw a juvenile daphnia swimming around near the surface as well. Everything looks good and algae is already starting to grow and produce oxygen for the tank. I don’t think I will need to provide much food as levels of everything seem to be rising at an even pace. The temperature for the last two days has been sustained around 80*F.

18:30.9.3.2018 - I can’t even believe it. The size of the largest triops seems to have doubled again since this morning! Conditions are definitely favorable for triops in this tank and I only wish I had had more hatchings with this batch. I was able to locate one of the smaller triops scurrying around over clumps of algae and also noticed some other nauplii. There may be a few triops in that swarm as well as what I can tell are daphnia and seed shrimp by their swimming motions. My worry is that that ‘Rex,’ as we will call the largest triops from now on, may consume many of these nauplii and potentially the other triops too. Here is a view of the tank as well as two videos of Rex swimming around.

Posted Image

Videos:
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6864.mp4
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6865.mp4

17:30.9.3.2018 - I was looking at what I thought was Rex only to see Rex swim by. This must be the medium sized triops whom we will call ‘Chuo’ from this point on.

9:30.10.3.2018 - Rex is still growing as is Chuo! I can’t believe the difference in growth between this experiment and the previous. Rex’s shell is about a half centimeter in length and it must be almost a centimeter with all body parts included. The first photo is of Rex whom is hard to make out in the photo so I put a nice gold halo around it. Look closely! It has an egg in its mouth.

Posted Image

In this photo you can see Chuo, although it is also hard to make out in a photo so I added a halo.

Posted Image

18:00.10.3.2018 - I can confirm there are three triops present. Rex, Chuo, and ‘Chi,’ the smallest one I thought I had been seeing. Rex could easily eat both of these other triops so hopefully there are plenty of daphnia and seed shrimp to keep it occupied.

4:00.11.3.2018 - Rex looks very healthy and I cannot locate Chi. Uh oh.

10:00.11.3.2018 - Now I cannot find Chuo. I can’t even find any remains. I am guessing Rex devoured both smaller triops this morning. It has barely been four days since Rex hatched! Why is it so hungry? I stuck a triops pellet in the tank and immediately Rex starting spinning it around in its legs devouring little chunks.

http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6878.mp4

15:30.11.3.2018 - I broke a pellet up into pieces and dropped one on Rex, who immediately grabbed it and reduced it to nothing. I don’t understand why the other triops were eaten and still haven’t located any remains. There is a wealth of daphnia, clam shrimp, and seed shrimp floating around as well as algae clumps which make for a great food source. I am getting some great photos and videos now with the size of rex.

18:30.11.3.2018 - I can see that Rex’s digestive tract is almost empty so I crushed a pellet into a few pieces and dropped them in. Rex devoured them and I observed as its digestive tract filled up. Its length is reaching one and half centimeters.

4:30.12.3.2018 - Rex seems big enough for a full pellet so I drop it in. Rex goes after it and starts filing it down and eating it. Here is a video of Rex swimming around the tank as happy as anything.

http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6886.mp4

8:00.12.3.2018 - I can see four shimmering, shedded exteriors floating in the water. Rex is digging a lot of holes and has a lot of energy. I am going to wait until the morning to feed as it has a nice full tract.

3:30.13.3.2018 - I feed another pellet to Rex who is working on grabbing large chunks of dry and wet floating algae, sinking to the bottom and gnawing on them. The carapace is more opaque and the mandibles are easily visible as it eats.

20:00.13.3.2018 - Rex is getting huge. For 6 days old I am really impressed with the growth rate and ability to feed. I gave it another pellet and it started munching on it immediately. I haven’t found any traces of old food so I am guessing either the other organisms are finishing off any traces or Rex is eating like a machine.

15:30.14.3.2018 - Not much to add other than Rex has reached a length of about 2 centimeters and now has a nicely silverish shell. I had some trouble with ants getting in and using the open water containers as water sources. Some might have fallen in and been consumed but I haven’t observed this. I just like the image of some ants peering into the murky depths and then this huge triops bursts out of the water and grabs them, pulling them down to be consumed.

Here is a video of Rex digging:
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6901.mp4

3:30.15.3.2018 - Rex is eating two pellets a day and its growth has slowed a bit. I would expect to see egg sacs in the next week as it reaches adult size.

Posted Image
Posted Image
'Hey there good looking!'
Posted Image

4:30.16.3.2018 - I have noticed that much of the algae clumps have disappeared as Rex constantly swims about grabbing things and consuming them. It takes just a few hours for it to consume a whole pellet. I would really like to move Rex to the larger tank but because of the cold weather the temperature of that tank is down near 70*F.

Posted Image

20:00.16.3.2018 - Today Rex ate three pellets. I also cleaned out the tank a bit of the brownish green muck that was building up. I set it in a separate dish with some algae that I hope is able to make some use of it.

20:00.17.3.2018 - Rex is shedding every day or so and getting larger. It is probably closer to three centimeters in length now. I am feeding three pellets a day and haven’t found the slightest shred of anything left over. There still seem to be some daphnia moving briskly through the water, but Rex has become so fast I am surprised it hasn’t caught these as snacks!

Here is an updated photo showing some mottling on the carapace. Also a video of absolute contentment while devouring a pellet.

Posted Image

Video Link:
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6919.MOV

3:30.18.3.2018 - I ended up feeding Rex a fourth pellet last night to see what would happen and it was gone by morning so I am going to start feeding four a day. What a hungry little creature!

11:00.18.3.2018 - Since Rex is eating up pellets so fast I gave it two and can now somewhat say that ‘it’ is somewhat of a ‘she.’ I can see two egg pouches in development. Once Rex found the pellets it grabbed both of them and immediately started consuming one while gripping the other between its many legs.

3:30.19.3.2018 - Rex is just slightly larger than 3 centimeters now and the egg pouches are much more defined as is the carapace. Two pellets are a nice meal that disappears within an hour. I am hesitant to feed more just yet but Rex is consuming 5-6 pellets a day.

20:30.19.3.2018 - Rex’s egg pouches are about a third of the way filled with little pink eggs. This would explain the massive amount of digging.

10:30.20.3.2018 - There is definitely egg laying going on as I watch Rex dig deeper and deeper holes, pause and do a little dance, then cover up. It is causing the water to get really cloudy as silt and who knows what else is being disturbed. I am going to do a 50/50 water change and see if I can find any eggs.

21:00.21.3.2018 - Rex is super happy and still growing and eating like a champ. Here are some lovely photos and a video. In one of the photos I highlighted the egg pouches.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Video Link:
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6954.mp4

10:00.22.3.2018 - I decided to do another water change as the water is getting cloudy again. Part of this is from waste I am sure, but it doesn’t help that Rex seems to be trying to dig itself out of the hatching dish. Warmer temperatures in my main tank cannot come soon enough!

20:30.22.3.2018 - I love watching Rex dig and lay eggs. It is an interesting little dance to observe. It digs a very deep hole and then sort of lays across it and shakes a little bit while waving its legs gently to mix sand in as eggs softly fall from its body. It then rotates and slowly fills the hole back in. Then it likes to rest before swimming around for food.

11:00.23.3.2018 - I gave Rex 3 pellets for lunch. Let’s see if it is still around when I get back.

12:30.23.3.2018 - All 3 pellets are gone. I guess Rex’s appetite has increased substantially so I will now start giving 3.

12:30.24.3.2018 - Rex is consuming 9 pellets a day now (3 3x/day). Once it catches the taste of it, it whips through the water, twisting and turning like an aquatic bird of prey grabbing one pellet immediately to its mandibles, while holding onto the other two with between its many, many legs. I also observed while it eats at the surface its legs cause surface currents to form which moves any other pellets or debris quickly toward it and through its legs in case it missed anything. Rex has so much energy and I really hope to be able to it to the larger tank soon, but it is sleeting and snowing outside and the ambient temperature of the larger tank is 69*F.

Here is an up to date picture of Rex:
Posted Image

and here is a video of its eating antics:
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6975.MOV

20:00.25.3.2018 - When checking on Rex earlier I noticed it had dug up the entire tank and was disappearing down a giant crater it made on one of the sides. The water was horribly cloudy so I did another change. What a hungry, messy little monster.

12:00.26.3.2018 - Rex is still doing great and has been exploring its artistic side. I wish I had taken a picture but at some point in the last hour it decided to dig and move around the outer edge of the tank while doing so creating a sort of raised square in the middle of the tank. Maybe Rex is experimenting with zen gardening as it lays eggs.

20:00.27.3.2018 - The weather forecast is pretty bipolar over the next few days, and Rex is around 4 centimeters now. Tomorrow I will be starting the process of a tank clean and of changing out Rex’s water with tank water. I will be moving the tank downstairs for the next few weeks until the ambient temperature upstairs increases above 74*F.

20:00.28.3.2018 - I began the process of changing out Rex’s water today with tank water. I started with one ounce every half hour or so and am now putting up to two ounces in every half hour. Tomorrow I will be moving the main tank downstairs and once everything is settled temperature wise, Rex will start enjoying it’s new home which is populated by seed shrimp. Mmmmmm... Today I also started feeding Rex betta pellets and blood worms. Rex really likes these things.

21:00.29.3.2018 - Rex has been transferred to the tank. After an initial period of ‘where am I?!!!’ Rex soon found itself asking ‘where am I?’ as it scuttled around and swam up to play with the duckweed, climb the elodea, and chomp on the seed shrimp. I also added in two betta pellets.

5:00.30.3.2018 - Rex seems to be loving being in the larger tank. It loves swimming up and combing through the duckweed for seed shrimp as well as tearing and consuming all of the hair algae that I have been trying to clean out. At one point it got a whole bunch of bubbles stuck to it from swimming near the airstone which caused it to involuntarily float to the surface and have a fit until the bubbles were gone. It is swimming around more like a fish than a triops, but is still taking time to bury eggs deep in the substrate.

T8 has been drained and prepped for dehydration. I will work on harvesting a good number of eggs once this has occurred.

Here is a video of Rex enjoying its new home:
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_6990.mp4

20:00.31.3.2018 - This will be my last entry until Rex succumbs to the mortality of life, unless anything of interest occurs in the tank. T8 was a great success and I learned quite a bit which will improve my methods of raising triops. Rex seems at home and happy to be in the larger tank, and the seed shrimp… well, I haven’t seen many recently. Rex is being supplemented with 6 betta pellets a day and is working on consuming rotting plant matter and anything else delicious it can find swimming around.

21:00.10.4.2018 - I cleaned out the tank yesterday as Rex has completely consumed all of the seed shrimp and almost all of the duckweed. I set aside some duckweed so that at some point I can re-establish a culture in the main tank. Rex measures about 6 centimeters long and eats between 12 and 16 betta pellets a day and blood worms a few times a week as a treat. The substrate from T8 has been frozen for a week or so now and I will be re-hydrating it in a few weeks. It is filled with eggs as is the substrate of the main tank.

Here is a video of Rex digging away:
http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_7030.mp4

12:00.14.4.2018 - Last night I got rid of the incandescent bulb as the tank can now stay above 74*F due to the weather finally switching to spring. I replaced it with the 250W equivalent CFL to provide enough bright light to hatch more seed shrimp and such as well as to recover the culture of duckweed I use to have thanks to Rex.

This morning Rex doesn’t seem to be doing very well though. At 38 days old it is getting up there in age. It spent a good part of the last hour or so on its back moving its legs very slowly. Every so often it turns over and swims like normal around eating and digging. I noticed the egg pouches are only half full. I sense either a shedding coming up or potentially the end of Rex. We will see what happens...

14:00.14.4.2018 - After thinking more about Rex’s behavior and the addition of the new light, I decided to turn off the light to see what effect that has. Normally the tank lighting is off from 7:00 to 17:00 and it would just be receiving some indirect light from the windows. Having 250W of light coming from the side might be upsetting. I will check back later and see if there is any change.

21:30.14.4.2018 - I did about a 50-50 water change and also replaced the CFL with the incandescent and Rex seems to be itself normal crusty self! It gave me a chance to clean all the gunk off of the elodea which is rotting away in some areas due to Rex gnawing at the roots. Still no seed shrimp in the hatching dish so I may have to start grabbing some from the recent spawning that occured in the aqua column where they are thriving off of elodea and vegetable scraps.

19:30.15.4.2018 - I found Rex dead at the bottom of the tank this evening. It was on its belly with some green gunk it was munching on and ended up spewing a bunch of eggs out when I pulled it out. There still seem to be some eggs in the pouches and now that I look around the tank I can see there are hundreds of eggs mixed into the sand. At some point I will have to extract those eggs and try to hatch them. This will be the last log in this series. RIP Rex - 39 days old.
Edited by supremelorax, Apr 15 2018, 11:53 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
good luck with your latest attempt, may the triops of t7 make it to adulthood.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
I am going to keep updating every day or so by editing the original post for the length of this experiment.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
dang it rex! he seems to have a more than healthy appetite.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
I am close to considering this experiment successful. As I can now see developing egg sacs the current inhabitant of my hatching tank should be fully mature in the next few days and will begin laying eggs. After I have been able to harvest a good amount I will move 'Rex' to my main tank and start the process anew after a dehydration and freezing of the brood I am able to extract.

notostracan
Member Avatar
Shrimp Lady
How is Rex doing? :) Very nice detailed log with some good pics of Rex. The 55w CFL seems to work very well too, neat setup!

I imagine at this point Rex has grown to be bigger and messier and is probably requiring frequent water changes or a bigger tub/tank?
Edited by notostracan, Mar 21 2018, 08:09 PM.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
very glad Rex is giving you eggs :)

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Yes. Much bigger and a bit messier, but no problems yet. We are experiencing a strange start to spring with freezing rain and snow. Unfortunately my three gallon tank brimming with food sources for Rex is at 71*F which I feel is a bit too cold. Next week it is supposed to warm up and I should see 74*F at which point Rex will start the process of moving over. Hopefully it doesn't mind snacking on these triops pellets until then. It is eating 6 a day and sometimes asking for more.

I decided to get rid of the 55W CFL for the moment because I was worried it was killing some of the organisms. I switched back to an incandescent 60W for the warmth.
Edited by supremelorax, Mar 22 2018, 01:20 AM.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
if you put sand in a bottle, fill it with water, put the bottle in a bucket of water, and dump out the sand, you can remove all the dust from the sand. hopefully that will help out with cloudy water if you ever want to mess with it.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Slash0mega
Mar 27 2018, 08:14 AM
if you put sand in a bottle, fill it with water, put the bottle in a bucket of water, and dump out the sand, you can remove all the dust from the sand. hopefully that will help out with cloudy water if you ever want to mess with it.
I did that when preparing the sand for this hatching tank. The problem now is the remaining particulates and all the accumulating waste which I have been 'vacuuming' up constantly with a baster. The problem has been reduced, but my goodness do these adult triops get messy! Rex went around in squares (circles... sort of) yesterday making all sorts of interesting geometrical shapes. Maybe a budding artist? Maybe a cry for attention? Maybe the aliens can tell me...

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
of course the video you choose to show him "enjoying" the new tank seem to be during "the bubble incident" XD

also, i have no idea if it is a trick of the camera but your triops seem huge compaired to mine, it might just be all the food he eats though :P

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Rex seems big for two reasons. The first is that it is about 4 cm long (just shed again last night) and the second reason is that the tank is a cylinder and I think it is magnifying everything slightly. From the other side of the room it sometimes looks like there is a small horseshoe crab mucking around in there. Its appetite is immense though. It is chewing up roots, gunk, algae, and apparently every single last seed shrimp, unless there are some hiding anywhere. So, an instant cure for seed shrimp infestation has been discovered.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
oh hey, i was not expecting a update after the "sign off" so soon, that video looks like egg-laying behavior to me :D

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
RIP Rex - 39 days old. I found it dead around 19:30 this evening when I went to check. This will be the end of this log and I will be working on hatching eggs I extract from the tank and hatching tank in a few weeks. Stay tuned...

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
goodbye rex, may your progeny be healthy and slightly less ravenous :P looking forward to seeing how your eggs turn out :D

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
So... you know how every so often a movie comes out that you think is sort of a stand-alone kind of flick that is pretty good but you would never think they would make a sequel so soon? Well... today as I was looking over the tank and noticing how grossly filled with algae it is, I see something moving that I disregard as debris, until I see more... a lot more. There are baby triops all over the tank. I can't even count how many there. They are all different sizes and some must be at least a few days old. This is tap water they are swimming in and they seem to be doing fine. I guess Rex lives on through a myriad of hatchlings!

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Here are a few clips of the baby triops. Again, I can't even count how many there are and I am sure most of them will end up being eaten by the larger ones.

http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_7088.mp4
Edited by supremelorax, Apr 20 2018, 08:49 AM.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Well, well, well... here is another video of clips showing the many stages of triops now inhabiting this tank. I noticed a semi-swarm of nauplii on the side of the tank getting more light. These will probably become food for the larger ones. I wonder if this will become an infinity triops tank...

http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_7094.mp4

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
oh, oh wow. that is a lot of mixed size triops. amazing :D

I did a tiny bit of research after babies appeared in my tank, and someone said that some eggs hatch when there are no adult hormones in the water. perhaps that is what happened.

Technoduck
Member Avatar
Bad Owner
Damn congrats!
Posted Image

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
are you going to keep a log of trying to care for these guys?

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Slash0mega
Apr 22 2018, 08:39 AM
are you going to keep a log of trying to care for these guys?
I am because some pretty interesting things have been happening. I will be posting it in a separate thread soon.

This morning I had a pocket of eggs explode into a hatching frenzy several centimeters below the surface of the substrate because of light reaching them from a hatching tank nearby.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Tank Log II: The Rise of Rex's Progeny!

19:00.19.4.2018 - While looking over the tank I notice triops hatchlings of all different sizes but all tiny swimming and crawling around in the tank. I guess there must have been a decent amount of ‘spring eggs’ and they hatched at some point around the time of Rex’s death as some look to be a few days old. I will be monitoring them but won’t need to do anything special as there is plenty of food growing and there will be a huge swarm of seed shrimp entering as a cleaning crew in the next week, and I guess as a food source too.

http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_7088.mp4

8:00.21.4.2018 - At this point these triops are growing very fast. There are three larger triops, all of a similar size, as well as myriad of smaller ones that I cannot keep track of. The larger ones had originally skimmed the sides of the aquarium but are now swimming around and walking on the substrate more. I also noticed a mature seed shrimp hiding in a clump of elodea and algae. I haven’t observed any seed shrimp in weeks so either there were a few that hid and escaped Rex’s voracious appetite, or whatever caused the triops eggs (potentially an absence of mature hormones) to hatch may have caused seed shrimp to start hatching. Everything is working on cleaning up what was quickly becoming a very filthy tank. There are even clear trails across the surface of the tank sides where triops have been busy eating. With so many inhabitants the tank has become quite interesting again!

http://ingruo.net/site/special/tank/IMG_7094.mp4

12:00.22.4.2018 - One of the pockets of eggs I have been observing completely hatched this morning. It is on the side of the tank facing the light for the seed shrimp hatching tank and the light stimulated the whole clutch to hatch several centimeters below the surface of the substrate. I used a baster to pump the sand gently releasing the nauplii, who I believe were consumed by the many larger triops very soon after.

12:00.23.4.2018 - At this point I can easily observe a few tiny triops still surviving in the elodea and about a half dozen that are between a half centimeter and a centimeter. The three largest triops are one and half and two centimeters. I added a sprinkling of blood worms and two betta pellets to the tank to see what would happen and within a few hours every thing was consumed.

« Previous Topic · Triops Tank Logs · Next Topic »
Add Reply