Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Slash0mega's first triops tank.
Topic Started: Mar 4 2018, 02:55 AM (1,180 Views)
Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
I decided to start a tank log for my first attempt at keeping tripos as a way to keep track of their care. They look quite fun to write as well :P so here I go

--Day one--
Ok, so I started “conditioning” the water. I stuck in some lucky bamboo and a bag of detritus I tried to make. I would have loved to use a Marimo moss ball but none exist in town right now, so bamboo it is. I had a banana plant I would have used for the hatching but it was in very poor health, I saw a healthy example of one when I returned it but I really will need an easier to care for plant. Whether or not it stays with the triops after some warmer weather lets me order some plants off amazon is another story. (also if the triops kill it by munching its roots it would only be about 3 dollars down the drain :P)

After about 10 hours I will add the eggs. Only going to use about a fourth of my 150 egg pouch.

The hatching tank is a floating Tupperware container full of distilled water, after the Triops start growing I will condition them to the tank water by using a turkey baster to add a little bit of tank water daily.

The thing that looks like a moss ball is really just something that emulates a plant as far as I know, it was sold as a moss ball but I think its synthetic. Still helps out with tank cycling stuff.

I bought some shrimp wafers as adult food as well.

Here is some instructions I rigged up from multiple sources for hatching.

• prepare floating dish by puting in plant and detretus for 10 hours and make sure water is warm enough
  • after 10 hours if temp is good put in eggs, make sure no eggs stick to the walls
  • triops will start hatching from 24 to 48 hours, potintaly longer
  • DO NOT FEED till 48 hours AFTER HATCHING. feed triops a tiny prick of algi powder twice a day, being
  • carfull of water quality
  • do watcher changes/refills with aquarium water to get them used to aquarium quality
  • after a week and a half, if triops are big enough transfer to aquarium

Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by Slash0mega, Mar 4 2018, 03:15 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 2--
Ok, water has finished conditioning while I slept, the temperature is good, so now its time to add the eggs. There is nothing more to do for the next 2 to 3 days but wait on the eggs.

Ok, sliiight complication. So it turns out triop eggs FLOAT, which is something I had no idea about. The instructions I got said to make sure they don't stick to the side, but I didn't realise that meant they would be floating and accumulating on the surface lol. So instead of just casually waiting on the eggs to hatch I am going to have to babysit the container and periodically make sure no eggs are drying out. Glad I got that Triop(turkey) baster XD.

The free floating container makes it slightly harder to keep the eggs in the water with the water surface shifting about, but with my tank lid holding it down it should stay pretty level until I remove said lid.

Posted Image
Edited by Slash0mega, Mar 4 2018, 07:01 PM.

notostracan
Member Avatar
Shrimp Lady
Looking good! The "Lucky bamboo" is a great idea, if you make sure it's top leaves are above the water and get enough light, it will also do a good job cleaning the water. This plant is often sold as an aquatic plant here even though it's not lol, but it grows very well with just it's roots in the water.

I know how you feel when it comes to the floating triops cysts! When I set up triops tanks I use a syringe or pipette to wash them off the sides of the tub, same as you are doing with the turkey baster, it's the most stressful part of hatching triops for me :lolD: . Some of the cysts will only hatch on the 2nd or even 3rd hydration anyway, so as long as you are putting them back in the water at least daily, don't worry too much about the viability being effected, it could actually help . Another good thing is you have only used 1/4 of the cysts too, so can always add more if you don't get enough hatching out.

One thing I don't see mentioned that will increase the hatch rate considerably is leaving the lights on for at least 24 hours to begin with (if the tank is in a bedroom, I just put a towel over the tank when going to bed). Triops cysts only hatch in the light, so keeping the light on straight for the first 24-48 hours speeds things up a lot :) .

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
yep, i knew about the bamboo not being fully submerged, i have it sticking out of the feeding tray right now, and i will tie it to the intake pipe of the filter when the floating hatchery is removed. i did indeed leave the lights on for the hatching, for a little bit i thought i might be able to turn them off as long as its on a cylce cause thats what it looked like the "mytriops" guide was saying, but then i found a part about leaving them on so i threw my snuggy over the tank last night XD.

now on to the log update with some fantastic news.

--day 3--
WE GOT LIFE! I got little tiny baby Triops swimming about :O not going to bother with a picture today cause my phone will pick up nothing but a white dot but they are in there :D

I think I will need to start feeding them the baby powder the day after tomorrow (after 48 hours) but I will re-read all my Triop material to double check.

I think I counted around 7 of them but they are very hard to keep track of right now. There are a couple of eggs (2 or 3) stuck back on the back wall but I really don't want to mess with the water too much while I have live babies in there…

I really thought today would just be a “nothing yet” in the log XD

Next time I do a hatching, I think I will stick a bottle lid or something in the middle and try to encourage the eggs to stick to the sinking with the water level lid instead of the walls, I make a little plastic spatula/toothpick this morning out of a disposable cup but it didn't help too much. The water shifted while working on other eggs too much, getting other eggs stuck onto the walls while I removed others.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 4--
All is awesome so far, all 7 Triops are accounted for and big enough to see details :D I had a scare last night where one looked like it was having a hard time shedding and writhing on the floor, but she seems to be fine now. Got a little bit worried about oxygen content when I realised I forgot to shake up the distilled jug of water, so I shook it up very well then added some with the turkey baster. Tomorrow I will get to feed them some of the baby Triop food algae powder. They also had a chance to enjoy some post 75 degree water cause the thermostat was turned up a bit and the room with it was cold last night, and my door was shut and insulated from the rest of the house, so judging by the waters thermometer I got woken up by 78 degree heat. After I begin water changes I might crank up there heater a bit from sub 75 degree hatching temperature.

They are big enough to be captured by the camera now, but they move about too fast to get a non blurred shot of one…

Tomorrow will also be the day I start using the turkey baster to start replacing some of the dirty distilled water with water from the tank. I am also getting a bit nervous cause I have read plenty of cases where Triops have hatched and seemed to be getting along pretty well

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 5--
They are getting bigger every day :D in fact or two are way bigger than the rest. One tried to munch a smaller one so I went ahead and fed them a few hours early, and now many of them are munching on the thin layer of green floating on the surface :)

I can now make out details on the largest ones, and I am wondering if I had any late hatchers because not only are some of them really tiny compared to the rest, I managed to count 8 of them today.

Last night was also the first night I started turning off the light at night, it's probably an experience to spend your entire life in the light only for it to go dark suddenly :P

also, a couple of days ago my sister decided to order some moss balls for me cause the weather was warm and the shipping was fast, of course yesterday it snowed so I got worried but they came in today and were fine. After I get them all set up (had to rinse and soak them to clean out ammonia from shipping apparently) I think I will swap the lucky bamboo with a moss ball cause its really hard to work with the tank when there is a stick sticking up through the feeding hatch that jostles the floating tank about whenever I do anything.

Posted Image

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 6--

Today I lost a Triop. I saw the largest swimming around with another in her mouth. I don't know if one died and got turned into a meal or killed for a meal, I think I'll try increasing feeding.

During a somber moment I was able to count all(?) 8 triops, including the one that was added to the menu. I have around 2 large triops and 5 smaller ones, perhaps I should separate them? Give the bigger ones there own marimo and tank or just let them into the full aquarium?

I wonder if algae powered disappearing means its getting all ate, or if its dissolved into the water.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Hey slash0mega, it is nice to have something to compare with! I am on day 2 since hatching in my 'tank.' I was wondering the same thing about the algae powder but am feeding it to daphnia and seed shrimp right now. The seed shrimp are going nuts over it! I am interested to see how the marimo work out for you although I don't know if those are legit marimo as they tend to live in cooler, moving water and take a long time to get up to size. They were all over Japan when I lived there being sold in stores. Are your triops hanging around or on them at all?

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
they do hang around them, particularly the smaller ones but the larger ones will come over and comb over the fuzz as well. I actually had to raise the water level a bit cause they kept trying to crawl on top of it XD

as far as I know they are legit, I got mine from a seller called aquatic arts/plants for pets and the little guide that came with it said to keep them under 78 degrees. so the cooler water requirement is there. I just checked some guides and they seem pretty genuine but Ill do a fuller investigation later. pretty sure they are not java moss however.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Well, your tank is looking beautiful. I am finally having success with a detritus hatching and hopefully will move these to the 3 gallon next week. I am thinking about getting some of these moss balls to join in with the duckweed and elodea.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
thanks :) I am really hopping my tripos will like it. glad your latest attempt is coming out good so far.

--Day 7--

Nothing to report, they just growing. Did pick up some bacteria supliment to help out with some high ammonia levels in the main tank after taking in some water to get it tested, and they sent me home with 2 more test strips to make sure everything is good. That's about it.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 8--

Still nothing major. They will be ready to transfer to the full sized tank soon I think. I also feel they are staying pretty full off the marimo because they don't seem too interested in food when I feed them, but I may just be misinterpreting things.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Have you been able to guestimate a measurement for your largest triops? I have one that is 3 or 4 days old that is about 1.5 cm. I am wondering if it is size or maturity that determines when a triops is ready to move.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
I think its around 1.5 centimeters as well though mine is over a week old. my guidline to being ready was "about the size of your pinkie nail" from the Triops longicaudatus care guide on the forums.

the instructions from my triopsking eggs said that you can move them when they are one centimeter, while the on site guide says a week old and "the size of your pinky nail." I think it mainly has to do with size for transferring just so they be big enough to find food in the water, but this is my first time ever doing triops so i am far from the expert on these things.

--Day 9--
They are just chilling. They seemed more exited over the food today, perhaps the lack of excitement yesterday came from the fact it was the first time I started feeding them there larger adult food (though crunched up.) they did eat what remained of the chunks from after I cleaned up a bunch of garbage from the tank with a turkey baster so they are eating it so I know they are not only eating the marimo. That is a good thing cause I am not sure the marimo can handle being the only source of food. I think the smallest may be big enough for the tank to be transferred in the next day or two, assuming growth keeps up at a similar pace.

Posted Image
Edited by Slash0mega, Mar 11 2018, 11:15 PM.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 10--
There growth continues, in fact I feel I can transfer them to their full size tank, but I will wait till tomorrow morning for it. 6 seems to be the final count for Triops in my tank, assuming nothing happens in the mean time. I have no idea how I can transfer them over though, I got an aquarium net but I am a little afraid that it might hurt them. And I don't just want to dump in there hatching water as its not the cleanest water in the world.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 11--

I have transferred them. They are really digging the new tank. Topping off the tank was made difficult due to the fact that our houses heater is on the fritz again, but I was able to use there hatching tank to heat the spring water before adding it, I also tested putting the spring water jug into a bucket of hot water, and that heats the water right up so I will need to remember that for next time, got to be careful of over heating it though, the small amount of experiment water got over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Ill have to stick the thermometer into the jug and watch it climb near tank temperature. It is now even harder to count all 6 now however. You can usually only see about half of them at a time.

One of them also took a real keen interest in eating the bamboo roots. I'll need to keep an eye on that. If the bamboo get too beaten up ill add it to the spare marimo ball jar that's on my desk.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 12--

I lost one. There was a corpse in the middle of the tank, not sure what happened. The other 5 seem fine. I did a partial water change and used my water temperature trick and learning more about how to do that efficiently. They really dig their shrimp pellets now though.

notostracan
Member Avatar
Shrimp Lady
Life has been crazy, so I've missed most of this sorry!

All is looking great, I really want a triops tank again now lol. Sorry to hear about the one that passed, any signs of what caused it? I know Dracaena can be a bit toxic to cats and dogs if they eat the leaves, but I've never heard of any aquarium habitants being affected, and have seen many fish and shrimp eat the roots before with no noticeable effects. Shedding issues usually the biggest killer for mine IME.

Keep an eye on the other 5, hopefully they eat the pellets instead of the plant roots anyway :lolD: .

Edited by notostracan, Mar 19 2018, 12:54 AM.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
welcome back notostracan :)

oh, oh wow. i keep finding out various plants around the house are poisonous thanks to these tripos... I kindof want to stick them in the marimo jar now, but that is in reach of my cat... other than the bamboo i have no idea what caused it, i was just writing it off as a shedding issue. only other thing i could think it could be was toxicity in the water, but the rest of the triops are behaving normaly.

--Day 13--

Surprise surprise, they continue to grow :P They are really starting to look like Triops now. They have really taken a shine to the rock in the tank, I think it may be because it has a thin layer of clear algi on it, lol. I am keeping an eye out for egg sacks and I can't wait till they start laying eggs. I really need to think of a good way of drying and storing them and then I can have futer generations whenever I want :D

It also really just dawned on me how short there lifespan is, which seems exceedingly short now that I am feeling and counting the days, but that may be for the best in this case cause we may possibly be moving soon and it would probably be best if I don't try moving the living Triops. I also need to come up with a better storage solution for my aquarium gear, currently its in an increasingly overflowing bucket.

Oh ya, and I keep forgetting to mention that the largest is named zombie. My sister really wanted to name one of them that, and after the… snack problem on day 6… it gave a perfect reason for the name :P
Edited by Slash0mega, Mar 16 2018, 06:20 AM.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 13 append--

Well crud, I counted 4 Triops, which is normal its hard to find all of them at once…. But upon further investigation I found another corpse, this one most definitely died from molting, It's stuck in “fetal position” from being unable to burst all the way. I think I need to find a supplement to add to the water, calcium I believe but I will do more research. And in trying to get it out of the tank I knocked it under the rock… fantastic.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Slash0mega
Mar 16 2018, 06:36 AM
--Day 13 append--

Well crud, I counted 4 Triops, which is normal its hard to find all of them at once…. But upon further investigation I found another corpse, this one most definitely died from molting, It's stuck in “fetal position” from being unable to burst all the way. I think I need to find a supplement to add to the water, calcium I believe but I will do more research. And in trying to get it out of the tank I knocked it under the rock… fantastic.
What kind of water are you using? I start with distilled and then after a few days start mixing in spring water which usually has enough trace minerals in it. I have heard about adding chalk powder to the water which is calcium carbonate, what all bones and shells are made of. I don't know how much to add though as I haven't ever had to.

By the way I am really digging your avatar!
Edited by supremelorax, Mar 16 2018, 01:43 PM.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
i hatched them in distilled, but had the aquarium filled with spring water. and whenever i had to do water changes i would replace the distilled with spring water from the aquarium. but they are in pure spring water now being in the aquarium. the brand i am using is ice mountain.

my sister made me the avatar after i showed her the log :)
Edited by Slash0mega, Mar 16 2018, 04:43 PM.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 14--

Nothing much to report, though I am worried any time I do not count all 4 remaining Triops now, we are able to go shopping tomorrow so I might look into something to aid in moulting. They are starting to dig in the sand a lot more, so hopefully I can start getting eggs soon.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Slash0mega
Mar 17 2018, 06:15 AM
--Day 14--

Nothing much to report, though I am worried any time I do not count all 4 remaining Triops now, we are able to go shopping tomorrow so I might look into something to aid in moulting. They are starting to dig in the sand a lot more, so hopefully I can start getting eggs soon.
I did some research and found that some people use 'cuttlebone' to help with calcium. I haven't ever used this before but it might help you, I would ask someone at the petshop who is knowledgeable about it though. I feel like there should be enough trace minerals in whatever water you are using to help them. Maybe there is something else in the tank that is causing a complication; maybe a plant that is using up the nutrients? PH is also something to consider. All of these factors are related and when something changes, usually everything else does to. Good luck though and I hope you figure out what happened.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 15--

I am not feeling too up to writing a log entry tonight, I came to the conclusion way too late in the day that the water is toxic. I am going to try a 50% water change tomorrow after I can buy some water and going to remove the rock. No idea what it is, I had the idea to ask the cashier if the stone was a lava rock and she said yes but I have no idea if it is cause it looks nothing like lava rock from google images…

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 16--

I had an epiphany. I have been treating the tank as a filtered tank, not doing very many water changes and the like… and the filter was not running because I was worried about them getting stuck to it. So ya, I screwed up in a massive way. I need to get an air powered sponge filter ASAP. Tomorrow I will also start running the filter, I had it started when I put them in to watch them and see if they had problems, but one of them was going all over the place, I do not know if he was being dragged around by a current or if he was just feeling flighty so I went ahead and turned it off for the night. He was still just as flighty so I have no idea as of yet if its dangerous. That dang pre filter was not as ok as my research lead me to believe.

I have done the 50% water change and I will continue to monitor closely. Just sitting down to write this made me relise I should have put back some water for an emergency evac if necessary, but I didn't and I wont be able to go shopping till next weekend.

Some egg laying has accured, I thought I would be able to see pink eggs among the sand, but they seem to be white, the same color as the sand. That will make harvesting more difficult.

The rock was also removed. I doubt it was causing issues, but I would rather be safe than sorry right now.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 17--

The triops are doing ok so far, still not very satisfied in the tank at this moment. The filter current is most definitely too strong so I have to get an air pump and sponge filter as soon as possible, I will see what I can do tomorrow morning.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 18--

Still got all 3. I moved them to a container of cleaner water. Tomorrow I have money and a way into town for a filter. I should probably look into doing another major water change as well as soon as I can get the chance.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Slash0mega
Mar 21 2018, 09:54 AM
--Day 18--

Still got all 3. I moved them to a container of cleaner water. Tomorrow I have money and a way into town for a filter. I should probably look into doing another major water change as well as soon as I can get the chance.
Hey slash,

Glad to see things are going a bit smoother for you. Be careful with too many water changes and doing them too fast. You want to either keep the temp., pH, mineral content (hardness), osmotic pressure and the like as close to the water they are currently in, or you will want to add the new water in very slowly after taking out about half or so. Maybe an ounce every hour added to the tank until you get back up to the level you want. This will help reduce stress as well as help prevent any shock.

:thumbup:

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
hm, I was being careful with the temperature, but didn't think about the other variables with the water. I have been using the same brand of water so that was probably helping things but i know for a fact that the fresh water is different from the aquarium water. i will remember the "slowly add" thing for the next change.

--Day 19--

Whew, got the sponge filter and set it up, going to let it filter for a while before I re-add the Triops. I am a bit worried over the fact that I can not do a water change till Friday when I can pick up some spring water but hopefully the filter will tide them over. I don't want to keep them in the holding tank cause I only got what little bit of water is in it, and I know that if I keep them in there too long it will get worse than the 10 gallon tank. Plus keeping it from getting too nasty will be good in case I have to remove them again. The new filter is also a bit more noisy but whatever. I might grab another bottle of bacteria supplement. I never caught that the filter plays an important part of water cycling till some recent reading (to my understanding it was just bacteria living in the water.) so I may have been so the supplement I did use was probably unable to use its full potential.

I am so glad I picked up the nylon fish filter on day 15, it's a lot less worrisome when transferring them back and forth from the holding tank to the main tank.

At the very least I am learning to be a better aquarist through all this.

notostracan
Member Avatar
Shrimp Lady
Slash0mega
Mar 19 2018, 06:56 AM
I had an epiphany. I have been treating the tank as a filtered tank, not doing very many water changes and the like… and the filter was not running because I was worried about them getting stuck to it. So ya, I screwed up in a massive way. I need to get an air powered sponge filter ASAP.
I was thinking this when reading too, triops are very messy when otherwise healthy and growing fast! Lots of light for plants/algae growth, frequent water changes or a mature biological filter filter are required to keep triops growing past adulthood in small tanks IME.

With regards to water changes, as long as the new water isn't freezing cold, a 50% water change daily is perfectly fine, don't worry about that shocking them. If you check some of my old logs, I often did 50% a day, sometimes I even did 2 x 50% water changes a day, or a 75-90% change. It is certainly wise to keep osmotic pressure in mind though as supremelorax suggests :) . Think of what happens to small temporary pools where triops thrive when it rains - they can very quickly double in volume or more due to added rainwater (which would be very different from the existent water in the pool, no minerals, low pH, much colder). That isn't to imply you can't change too much water at once, it's just dependent on how different the new water is. To play it safe I recommend people stick to changing 50% of the water or less at one go (both for triops and fish tanks), but in reality you can usually get away with changing much more, and the bigger the water change the better most of the time IMO.

An air pump + sponge filter is the best filter set up for triops :thumbup: . My triops have actually started to eat the sponge before though :lolD: .

Also loving your new avatar btw!

Quote:

I am a bit worried over the fact that I can not do a water change till Friday when I can pick up some spring water but hopefully the filter will tide them over.

You posted as I was replying, so just saw this lol . For water changes (not for hatching them), can you not pick up some aquarium dechlorinator and just use tap water? Much, much cheaper and less hassle that way :).

Quote:

The new filter is also a bit more noisy but whatever. I might grab another bottle of bacteria supplement. I never caught that the filter plays an important part of water cycling till some recent reading (to my understanding it was just bacteria living in the water.) so I may have been so the supplement I did use was probably unable to use its full potential.

Yep, the important bacteria/archaea live on surfaces, especially the filter sponge which has a huge surface area and water flow over it, not in the water column. Please don't buy any more bottled bacteria products btw, they are all basically just snake oil ;) . There are maybe one or two good brands of bottled filter bacteria, they generally require refrigeration and studies (as well as my personal experience) show they don't help that much with starting up a fish tank anyway. The filter bacteria/archaea will take at least a few weeks to multiply and effectively clean the water, there are no shortcuts, but the filter will start to help the water at least a little bit from day one when your tank starts "cycling". This is why I recommend live plants so enthusiastically - they will introduce far more useful filter bacteria than any "bacteria in a bottle" product, and if they are growing will consume more ammonia than your filter bacteria will to begin with.
Edited by notostracan, Mar 22 2018, 12:45 AM.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 19 append--

So, during the short time of posting and checking on them, one died…. I went to get the net and its being ate… so fun times.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
notostracan
Mar 22 2018, 12:31 AM

You posted as I was replying, so just saw this lol . For water changes (not for hatching them), can you not pick up some aquarium dechlorinator and just use tap water? Much, much cheaper and less hassle that way :).
oh hey, you posted, didn't check before the append... Ya, i am feeling i need to start using treated tap water, but i don't even trust the well water here for the animals to drink so i have been a bit apprehensive. but i need to take some in for a water test and then start using dechlorinater (if it even is chlorinated.)

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
funnest thing -_- i am not even sure if it was all the way dead yet, i was going to remove the other too then put in some clean but not water they where raised in the tank to see if it recovered. but nope, snack time.

notostracan
Member Avatar
Shrimp Lady
Triops are fun! :lolD:

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 20--

They are no longer doing back flips, so I am thinking the tank is in better condition. Tomorrow when we go shopping I am going to get the tap water checked. The filter is sucking thing up; I know this because there is hairs and such sticking to it, but the tank still has tons of particles floating about, so I am wondering if its strong enough.

Without the rock and with only 2 triops the tank is very empty, but I dare not mess with the décor at this point. When I do my next batch I am wondering if I should try the rock again, but ensure that the tank is cycled. I need to talk to the petstore and get details about the stone.

Off topic, lebreoffice, my word processor, auto corrected decor to décor and proceeded to tell me its spelled wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Gotta love those fancy words right?

You may think about just finding some rocks from outside and giving them a good soak. They will even come with some infusoria and maybe some algae and such too. If you reuse your sand, there should also be some nice things growing in there too, and I recommend starting your next hatching with some of the sand in your container (you won't need a lot). It serves as a source of food for the tiny triops and will also help to reduce the chance of bacteria blooms and such killing off your triops as there are things lurking in the sand that love microbes and the like.

Are you feeding your triops something else besides what is in the tank? How much are they eating? I think my solo triops is almost two weeks old and seems to hungry all the time, sort of like my fat cats.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
I am feeding them shrimp catfish pellets, and they seem to eat less than 1/4 the 1cm big pellet. yet when one of them ate the dead one in the holding tank the one ate a lot more, so i am assuming they are staying mostly full on the marimo balls. that or dead triops tastes REALLY good. (or not as filling.)

how long will dry sand remain a viable boost? cause after this attempt i have no idea how long it will be till i find a good time to start again. (possibly moving as i said, and I do not want to risk moving living triops)

i will most definitely hatch them with marimo balls when i do though.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Most of those organisms are able to enter diapause as well and will rehatch with your triops eggs. In essence your sand will become filled with detritus.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
ok, ill be sure not to wash the sand when I have to put things away :)

--day 21--

ok, got back from the petshop and found out that our tap water is 100% chlorine free, which is great for the triops, not so much for every other living organism in the house… I am going to start using that now. So tonight it is a slow partial water change. I was going to do 10% but it came out to a bit more of 25% cause I was vacuuming the surface of the sand a bit. The ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites levels are now a lot better too so I am feeling better all around.

I also found that petsmart is currently carrying elodea so hurray! I am going to pick some up tomorrow, would have tonight but petsmart was our first stop and we had more shopping to do, but we have to go in tomorrow again anyways so that's when we are picking it up.

Something I want to do next month is a bubble wall, I keep seeing them in the stores and really want to stick one in seeing as I had to hook up an air pump anyways :P I also want to get one of those multi way air splitters with the control valves to control the air a bit more.

One last thing is that we will be moving more likely around 4 months time rather than 1 or 2 so I will be able to try another batch after this one.

Another thing I did with the tap water was compare the hardness, alkalinity, and ph to the tank and they are similar.

I am also entertaining the idea of moving the heater to a vertical position and hiding it behind the false silk plant in the corner along with the sponge filter, but that may disturb any even heating.

Posted Image

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--day 22--

Today wasn't a good day so this shall be brief. Got some elodea. Forgot to rinse it, good job me. Found a snail in the tank. Put it in a bucket, not sure what to do with it. On one hand it would be neat to have snails, on the other I don't want to risk hurting triops (heard mixed things about snails) and I don't want the whole tank being overrun with snails. Had to bury the ends of the elodea in the sand to keep it from floating. I need to get some fishing line and tie them to shells or something to keep them from coming loose and floating.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Slash0mega
Mar 25 2018, 07:37 AM
--day 22--

Today wasn't a good day so this shall be brief. Got some elodea. Forgot to rinse it, good job me. Found a snail in the tank. Put it in a bucket, not sure what to do with it. On one hand it would be neat to have snails, on the other I don't want to risk hurting triops (heard mixed things about snails) and I don't want the whole tank being overrun with snails. Had to bury the ends of the elodea in the sand to keep it from floating. I need to get some fishing line and tie them to shells or something to keep them from coming loose and floating.
Elodea normally likes to float and even if you find a way to root it in your substrate, which will occur naturally after a few days even if it floats, it will sort of rot off and float anyway. I planted some back in February and they look like Banyan trees the way the roots are coming down. I have had 3 or 4 of the 8 sprout numerous branches and now the main stem appears to be dying off. I have around 2- 2.5 inches of sand at the bottom of my tank and when I planted the elodea I gripped it about 2 inches up then poked it down into the sand and I haven't had any float, but as I said they started growing roots after a few days and now it looks like a pond in there.

The only problem I am having now is that some of that hair like green algae is spreading and the seed shrimp can't keep up because of the cold.

I don't know too much about snails, but they will pick up eggs out of the substrate as they move around. You could put it in its own little tank. They can be interesting to watch if you don't mind watching things like grass growing and paint drying.
Edited by supremelorax, Mar 25 2018, 06:02 PM.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
the biggest thing with the snail is that it is super tiny, so the most interesting thing about it is that it looks like a pebble that broke off a sleeping angle statue cause it moves when you don't look at it :P (in fact that is how i figured out it was a snail, a pebble that moved itself from the front wall of the tank to the middle after adding the plants) now the question is do they move eggs around or do they eat the eggs?

I did anchor the elodea with the sand, but i am not sure what you mean by green algae off the elodea.

--day 23--

Still got the two of them. I isolated them in the medical tank again today cause one starting laying on its back then the other one started to do it, but I think its just a side effect of shedding cause one shedded then the other one shedded and they stopped. I put them back in after that episode. I had to move the snail. I was keeping it a bucket till i could figure out what to do with it but the cat spilled it all over the floor. After that I came up with the idea to stick it inside the container the marimo shipped in with a cutting of the elodea. I am contemplating sticking it in the plant jar and seeing how it fairs in there. The triops started doing the flips again as well, so I did another partial water change. It dawned on me that the tap has its own amonia, niterate and niterite so I am a bit worried about that.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--Day 24--

Nothing much has happened. They are just chilling but one of them is still freaking me out by hanging out on their back a lot. I hope its just a part of shedding. I have also been a bit apprehensive on feeding them lately, cause it seems no matter how little I feed them some food still gets left over, I think they may be sustaining themselves on the plants.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Nice Dr. Who reference... the algae I have is from my own mistake of dumping a small amount of contaminated water in my main tank. It looks like there are green pubic hairs infesting my tank. I have been pulling them out by hand with a toothbrush. It looks better but there is still much work to do which probably means a change out of the tank water.

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--day 25 & 26--

Whoops, got too tired yesterday and forgot to write a log entry. I would have wrote one this morning but we had giant power outage in my area. Two big things are currently going on. A triops started doing really, REALLY tight backflips with its tail bent all the way back. They where doing large gentle back flips in a giant arc a while back which made me think the water was toxic, but then THAT happened which makes me wonder if they were just being triops with the large gentle flips and that scary display being the toxicity sign, so I did a water change. The other thing is that the elodea seems to really dislike being directly in front of the sponge filter, with the parts of the stem up near it going “soggy” so I moved the filter.

Heck, thinking about it, the backflips started shortly after I brought home the elodea, which is the same day I discovered the tap water is chlorine free… could the tap water be causing issues?

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
--day 27--

Welp, lost one more. This one I am positive was a sheding complication cause its tale is stuck inside a longer, transparent tale. I think this is about the time where that becomes expected (20 to 30 days lifespan) still sucks though.

Posted Image

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Sorry to hear about your loss. Did you at least observe some egg laying going on?

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
I am fairly certain I have seen eggs being laid. i have seen triops with empty egg pouches.

--day 28 & 29--

With Easter preparations I forgot to write a log last night, but honestly nothing really has happened, the last Triops is still hanging about, he is eating shrimp pellets, just not a lot so I will continue to complement its diet with it. I will also need to contemplate how to get the laid eggs out. I read on the forum about a person who harvests the eggs by letting them dry out, then using some water to make them float to the top and collecting them. It may be possible to harvest them that way, and I could do it in a dark room to prevent premature hatching.

supremelorax
Member Avatar
Larva
Slash0mega
Apr 1 2018, 03:55 AM
I am fairly certain I have seen eggs being laid. i have seen triops with empty egg pouches.

--day 28 & 29--

With Easter preparations I forgot to write a log last night, but honestly nothing really has happened, the last Triops is still hanging about, he is eating shrimp pellets, just not a lot so I will continue to complement its diet with it. I will also need to contemplate how to get the laid eggs out. I read on the forum about a person who harvests the eggs by letting them dry out, then using some water to make them float to the top and collecting them. It may be possible to harvest them that way, and I could do it in a dark room to prevent premature hatching.
The substrate from my hatching tank is almost dehydrated and I will take a look either tonight or tomorrow and let you know how my harvesting goes. I am going to try both looking for 'pockets' as well as the method you mentioned.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Triops Tank Logs · Next Topic »
Add Reply