Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
triopsking set, no detritus? and is detritus reusable?
Topic Started: Feb 23 2018, 08:11 PM (355 Views)
Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
ok, so I just got a triops king starter set. and triops king seems to be a popluar store on this forum so hopfully someone can help me.

so this kit comes with algi powder and a gravel/egg mix (my set is supposed to be a 150 count) but no detritus. the instructions it came with make it sound like detritus (called water conditiner by them in a white tea bag) is optional. but i also read that gravel can be detritus so I have no idea if that is how this kit is supposed to work... then again detrus may be considered optional because the triops king seems to really advocate stream water, which would contain many unknows that i would not want to potintaly hurt the newborns...

and if i do end up needing to make my own detritus and stick it in a teabag, would said teabag be reusable for future hatchings or would i need to whip up a new batch every time?

edit: forgot to say, i am using distilled water, so i am pretty sure i can not just stick the eggs in and expect them to be fine without SOME form of externally added microfood.
Edited by Slash0mega, Feb 23 2018, 08:13 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

notostracan
Member Avatar
Shrimp Lady
Hi there, Slash0mega, welcome! :)

There is some useful infusoria/algae spores in the sand, but ideally you would want to add something like a live plant to the tank (easier and better than detritus) to ensure the baby triops have enough eat :). Live aquatic plants come covered in good bacteria, algae and hitchhikers like seed shrimp. I would recommend something very easy and fast growing like duckweed (or pretty much any other floating plant), Egeria (also called Elodea), hornwort or similar. Plants need light to grow so make sure you have a good light source (triops need light to hatch anyway).

Don't bother with making detritus, live plants are much better, but if you really cant source any, dried oak leaves make for good detritus :thumbup: (just don't collect them from the side of a polluted road or the like).
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
hello and thanks for the welcome :)

to use the plant, i just stick one in the hatching tank, let it sit for a few hours, then add eggs? i picked up some aquarium water from a pet shop for making detritus, but it sounds like a plant is more reliable. ill still make some detritus since i got the water and i still got to do things before i can work on hatching, but no idea if i will use it. would using both a plant and detritus risk overloading the water?

ThreeEyez
Member Avatar
DIAPAUSE
duckweed? good idea!

Slash0mega
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
i see you are poking a lot of detritus threads ThreeEyez! let me share with you what i did.
The main thing i used was some live lucky bamboo in my first hatching as it was the most readily avalable thing, but I would advocate a marimo moss ball. they are simple to keep and really awsome.

and as a backup i made some simple detritus out of some dried house plant leaves and borrowed aquarium water from the pet store, i ground up the leaves and left it soak for a day, then dried it out before sticking it inside a tea bag.

I hatched my triops with the plant in the water and allowed the detretus to soak for about 10 hours before adding the eggs.

i would recommend hatching in distilled water, then slowly replace it with spring water or TREATED tap water.
Edited by Slash0mega, Jul 23 2018, 03:43 AM.

ThreeEyez
Member Avatar
DIAPAUSE
Oh hahahah thanks slashomega! Lol yah i am a beginner so... but thanks for sharing expierences, it helps a lot!

ThreeEyez
Member Avatar
DIAPAUSE
The marimo ball is a good idea, I will buy it. I am using some duckweed and dried coconut chips. The problem there is U only soaked it for 4 hours or something, i rhink it doesnt contain enough food (microorhganism algae etc

« Previous Topic · Triops 101 · Next Topic »
Add Reply