Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
BlueWanderer's Logs
Topic Started: Jan 29 2018, 09:16 AM (178 Views)
BlueWanderer
Larva
Jan 29 2018

As the filtration system seemed to start working, I decided to give the new equipment a test by starting a new batch.

I used a small plastic container 6.5cm in diameter. Filled about 90ml distilled water and added a little aged tap water. After that I added a little coconut soil came with the original eggs to loosely cover the surface of the water. Finally I put about 20 eggs in to it.

I lit the container with a 20w white LED bulb with the cover removed. The water had been heated to about 29~30C (I guess, since I don't know which of my thermometers is accurate.) while I was typing, so I lifted the light a little higher. It's now about 5cm above the water.

Now the major problem is that I forgot when the eggs were collected. Hope they were dried long enough.

----
I counted the eggs in the water. And I found there are actually 50.

========
Jan 30 2018

20 hours,
No hatchling yet. I think this should be normal. But they were all laid by a abnormal one hatched within 12 hours... I don't know.

This time the eggs were kept at a cool place about 5C, while last time it was room temperature. And last time the water temperature might be as high as 31C during the first one or two hours of hatching.

...Or they just won't hatch.

----
About 29 hours,
First baby spotted. And interesting, it's red. The babies hatched from original eggs were pinkish white. Guess it has something to do with the diet?

========
Jan 31 2018

33 hours,
Baby No.2. Actually I saw it hours earlier. But I though it was just a piece of coconut shell. It was not moving and its antennae were not yet expanded at that time. What's more, it was floating on the surface while they usually sink at this stage.

I hatched some brine shrimps in a separate container. I decided to have the triops eat each other if too many would hatch. So I can't hatch the brine shrimp with the triops in the same container.

----
I found the water in the tank smells like peat now, and not becoming clear as I was expecting. pH was OK. And I checked the water under a microscope. Algae eating microbes were less than I was expecting. But I found the rotifers I collected from my axolotl tank survived. And they were swimming like crazy. I though they could only crawling. Guess it was them ate the algae eating microbes. But I think the water will become clear after all.

I did a 50% water change.

Baby No.1 has molted once, and is swimming happily.

----
Baby No.3.

I think I saw another newly hatched one not moving yet.

----
45 hours,
6 babies. Less than I expected. I decided that I would not let them eat each other after all. I moved half of the water and 3 babies to another container. There are 3 large babies in container A, and 2 small and 1 large one in container B now. I will move any new hatchling to container B from now on.

There were about 30ml in each container. And I added about 10ml tap water in the container I had been hatching brine shrimps to each of them. I will continue to add water till they are back to 90ml.

I moved some brine shrimp eggs to the triops containers. Moving wet eggs was as challenging as I thought. I won't do it again. I dropped the remaining eggs. And I added some dry brine shrimp eggs to each of the containers, too.

----
I saw a stage 3 nauplius holding a brine shrimp... I thought they would not eat anything before stage 4.

========
Feb 1 2018

55 hours,
No more new babies. Maybe the eggs are too fresh after all. I don't know.

----
The water in the tank final became crystal clear. Still lots of microbes. I can see trillions of tiny dots with bare eyes if watch closely. And there are larger dots seem to be rotifers.

----
59 hours,
One new baby. But soon I lost an older one, which seemed to be an albino.

----
69 hours,
No new baby. The biggest two are about 4mm long now.

It seems the ones in container B grows faster than the ones in container A. Maybe I will try hatch without detritus next time.

The water had become a little cloudy. But I decided to just let it be.

The snails in the tank had laid some eggs. Hope they won't hatch before triops can eat them.

========
Feb 2 2018

79 hours,
50 hours after first baby was hatched, well, they are no longer babies, except a new hatchling. The largest one is already 7mm long.

The two smaller ones in container B suddenly died 2 hours before. I decided to move them into the tank. I made a 10x10cm pocket with 250 mesh nylon net to house the small triops. I sucked most water in the container out, then slowly added tank water in. Then I put the container into the tank waited about half an hour. And I release the remaining two triops into the pocket. If everything is OK, I will move the other 3 to the tank tomorrow.

----
The problem of the pocket is too much place for triops to hide... It's a bit hard to find them.

----
81 hours,
The growth was totally stalled. Brine shrimps got eaten up. I should have added brine shrimp eggs earlier. And... the newly hatched one seemed to be eaten.

There are too many filamentous algae in the tank now. I will never play with them again.

I contacted the factory making plastic board. The diameter of the smallest hole they can make is 1mm :( But maybe I can have them make a smaller box that I can insert nets into the walls...

----
86 hours,
The smaller one in the tank is dying.

Maybe I've made the environment in the tank too harsh. I have always seen algae sticking on triops body. But this is weird. Some of their older sisters did born and survived in a tank full of the same type of algae. Maybe there are just too many algae...

I will try some duckweed when it becomes warmer. Or maybe I will just give up putting plants in the tank.

I saw a stage 0 nauplius half an hour ago. But now it's gone. Must have been eaten.

========
Feb 3 2018

Despite the harsh environment it lives in, the remaining one in the tank has grown much bigger than the two still in small container.

========
Feb 4 2018

The last one from container B had been over 2cm. But suddenly died after molting. Nothing seemed to be wrong when it just molted. But it became dying just about 10 minutes later.

Maybe it is still too much for triops to live in a "too aged" environment?

========
Feb 5 2018

Mmm... nothing new. I changed the water for the big tank. Oh, and they are 2cm now. The growth is one day behind the one died yesterday.

========
Feb 6 2018

Another one died. The remaining one is 3cm now. It looks healthy except that algae are accumulating on its body. I don't think it will live for much longer.

I will have to sterilize the whole tank and filtration system soon :(

----
I found it had grown brood sacs... I had thought the last batch got their brood sacs early was because of the high density. They are empty now while last batch already started laying eggs at this age, though.

Maybe my first adult triops got its brood sacs very early, too. I just didn't discover them.

On a second thought, I don't remember every triops got its brood sac when the first one started laying eggs. Something must still be wrong...

========
Feb 7 2018

It's having eggs... So I let it go out of the pocket.

========
Feb 8 2018

It has been growing slowly since Feb 6, only 3.5cm now. The last batch started to grow slowly after they got the brood sacs, too. Guess I will have to finger out why they matured so early.

========
Feb 10 2018

It only lays eggs within a small area, with all other places are covered by thick algae. It digs very shallow, lots of eggs are exposed. Maybe the grains of sand are too big. Or maybe silicon sand is too much heavier than coral sand.

----
I saw an empty egg shell still sticking on a grain of sand. But I didn't see any baby. I wonder if the baby was eaten or the filtration is still too strong for babies to live.

----
I cleaned an area where the current is weak. But the triops still laid eggs at its old spot :/

========
Feb 11 2018

I saw a baby about one day old. But it soon hid into the algae. I wonder if there are other babies hiding.

========
Feb 20 2018

I had left home for a weak and found the triops dead when I came back. Maybe they can't live this long with only algae to eat.
Edited by BlueWanderer, Yesterday, 12:53 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BlueWanderer
Larva
Notes for next batch:

1. Move the first few hatchling to a new container (container B ) instead of moving younger ones, which is much harder and doesn't seem of any obvious benefits.

2. Aerate the container. Hatchlings seem to be less active without aeration. At least aerate container B.

3. Maybe put container B in the tank.

4. Try hatching without detritus. Maybe I can just use tank water for microbes as I did for summer eggs hatchlings. Or maybe I just don't need microbes at all. Without detritus, eggs will stuck on the side of the container. I think I will stay with it.

5. I added too many brine shrimp eggs this time. I think I need only 1/10 of the amount. Keep some brine shrimps in a separate container. The amount they eat grows exponentially. Brine shrimps just disappear suddenly sometimes.

6. Hatch a little bit (like 20~30?) brine shrimps at the very beginning. Babies will start eating about half day old.

7. Maybe I should try moving the first few hatchlings to the tank as soon as possible. Aerating a container inside the tank may not be as easy as it sounds. Only let them accommodate to the tank water in container B for a short time. Well, I'm doing this this time.

8. The pocket seems to be too large for triops two days old. Maybe I should put container A in the tank, and aerate container B outside the tank.

9. Use larger container. Those small ones can't keep balance on the water.

10. A quarantine box should be better than a nylon pocket...

11. What if I use brine shrimp eggs as detritus(to prevent triops eggs from sticking on the wall of a container)?

12. Could it be the temperature made the triops mature early? Try lower the temperature when triops are young? Or maybe higher temperature. I found that all triops had matured after a dropping of temperature.
Edited by BlueWanderer, Feb 13 2018, 10:35 AM.

BlueWanderer
Larva
A plan:

* Hatch in a 11cm container (container A). Hatch some brine shrimps with the triops.
* When there are enough babies hatched, prepare another 11cm container (container B ), move remaining eggs to that container, and put it into the tank.
* Start aerating container A when feel proper.
* Hatch some more brine shrimps in another container as backup food.
* Put the triops in container A into the tank on day 4.
----

I think I can fix the air tube with two clips. Aerating a container inside tank is at least possible now. But I still have to keep the water level stable.
Edited by BlueWanderer, Feb 6 2018, 10:34 AM.

BlueWanderer
Larva
Notes about eggs hatched without drying.

* Appear to be normal eggs.
* Light seems to be a trigger.
* Seems not all eggs tend to hatch without drying[?]
* Eggs laid within certain periods seemed to have very high hatch rate.
Edited by BlueWanderer, Feb 13 2018, 10:28 AM.

notostracan
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
Interesting notes and hope it's still going well.

Not sure what you mean exactly about using brine shrimp eggs as detritus, but I would recommend against it personally if I do have an idea of what you mean. Some would hatch, die and rot in fresh water, and the unhatched eggs would also rot - creating less than ideal water conditions for the rapidly growing Triops nauplii!

I find that most triops live the longest at room temperature (which for me means 19-22*C in the daytime, or I'm too warm ) without a heater, but to get the best hatch rate they like it very warm and bright to hatch!

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: bright.gif (24.82 KB)
Edited by notostracan, Feb 18 2018, 10:41 PM.

BlueWanderer
Larva
notostracan
Feb 18 2018, 10:40 PM
Interesting notes and hope it's still going well.

Not sure what you mean exactly about using brine shrimp eggs as detritus, but I would recommend against it personally if I do have an idea of what you mean. Some would hatch, die and rot in fresh water, and the unhatched eggs would also rot - creating less than ideal water conditions for the rapidly growing Triops nauplii!

I find that most triops live the longest at room temperature (which for me means 19-22*C in the daytime, or I'm too warm ) without a heater, but to get the best hatch rate they like it very warm and bright to hatch!

Posted Image
Dead brine shrimps seem can stay good for at least 3 days here. I guess they can be eaten up before rotten. Won't hurt just giving it a try anyway.

I will try lower the temperature this time.

« Previous Topic · Triops Tank Logs · Next Topic »
Add Reply