Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Did I hatch too many in too small of a tank?; Mass die-off and only one reproducing individual so far
Topic Started: Jan 26 2018, 04:15 AM (247 Views)
longicaudatus
Egg
I have been at this for a couple years, but this is a first. I have a half gallon plastic fishbowl from Petsmart that hatched almost 50 triops on January 10. 7 days later, I moved the surviving 37 to a ten gallon tank and at this point the largest were almost a centimeter while the smallest were about 0.5 centimeters. Currently, I am down to 8 with one appearing to be on its way out, with the largest individual being almost 2.5 centimeters. The next largest are 2 triops about 1.5 centimeters and have egg sacs, but no eggs.

This is a first in that I have never had so many hatch, and I never had so many die. As well, I know one individual gets really big all the time (at least in my experience) but 2-4 individuals don't lag far behind. I'm concerned that only the big one will survive, and while one is better than none, I like big quantities of eggs provided by 3 or more triops. I just want to know if the smaller individuals have a chance to grow and reproduce and what I did wrong so that I can get more to survive and reproduce next time.

I don't know if the photo will be viewable, but the big one is in the center with 2 subordinates next to it show just how much bigger it is.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BlueWanderer
Triops Longicaudatus
My experience is that too many triops in a uncycled tank could die very fast if you don't do massive water change everyday.

I've once raised about 20 triops in a plastic bowl with 0.1 gallon of water till they were 3cm long. And they started to die after I moved them to a big tank that I had no time to get it cycled.

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
I couldn't see the photo referenced, I don't see a link?

I have raised many in dishwashing tubs and uncycled tanks. I tend to remove the biggest into a separate container to let the littler ones catch up, if i want to be sure of lots of eggs. Once there is a size difference I find nothing will let them catch up if they continue to live together. It is probably because the bigger ones can eat more than the little ones, and so get most of the food and or eat the little ones if there isn't enough for them. Having two or more containers going also helps for having somewhere to put them while you clean out the other container. I use spoons or ladels to move them, or if they are really small sometimes suck them up with a turkey baster. I also collect the sand during interim changes and give them fresh substrate in case they start to eat the eggs at some point, then I've already got some from them. With some kinds, removing the triops will allow spring eggs to hatch in the seemingly empty container for a new batch. I also never throw the water out, have had hatching occur in waste water dumps even if I didn't dump the substrate.
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

longicaudatus
Egg
I think Blue is right. Before the tank was setup, it was full of stale, disgusting water. I cleaned the tank very well, and it had only been running for 10 days before I placed the Triops in it. Also I only put one in initially to see if it was safe, but apparently it is not as safe as I thought. Oh well, better luck next time. Still have lots of eggs, and the current beast I have has already filled the four corners of the tank with eggs.

longicaudatus
Egg
I will also have to try what you suggested Ducky. Hatching water can get disgusting fast, so I use a pipette to remove excess food and debris. Since I have a TDS meter as well, I could probably do a larger water change and help them grow a bit better. I typically do 25% water changes starting on day 3 or 4, then do two 25% changes a day after that till they are ready for the big tank.

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
I don't usually change their water much, I generally add to it, especially while they are small. The ones I have are currently 8 days old, about 1/2 cm. One slightly bigger than the other, she probably ate the other two of the nauplii i started with. They are in about half an inch depth of water, container diameter is about 6 inches, it holds about 2 L full, i just filled a 1.5 L water bottle from it had some left and spilled quite a bit too. I do that so that i can find nauplii easily and it keeps the water oxygenated with large surface area to volume ratio, plus it means their food is never far away (powder sprinkled on the surface).They started with about that much water but some evaporated, ive added to it once so far. If there arent too many hatchings they generally stay in the same container throughout their lives so that all the eggs stay in one place that i dedicate to their species and type. However in this case there are dried eggs above the water line so I think I might move them rather than risk hydrating the eggs still in there, since they'll likely just become snacks.

I think one danger of reusing containers like i do is mold contamination. I stored them for years, in not the greatest conditions. I'm having trouble getting anything else to hatch recently (admittedly I have no eggs younger than 2013) but I'm going to keep experimenting with the containers and adding sand and or water for awhile before drying them out and giving them a good cleaning before I put the substrates back in. I just started some more today in a cleaned container and properly stored sand, so well see how that goes, if it results in hatchlings I will clean up the rest. I do have aquariums I can set up if need be, but they are currently in the condition yours started in. Where do I find the pic you mentioned?

Posted Image

longicaudatus
Egg
Not sure how to insert images, but I thought I would do a quick update. They are now 19 days, and I only have 3 left who appear to be on their way out. The largest has deformed eggs in its egg pouches and the legs of the remaining 3 are moving more slowly and are generally much less active then before. Looking at the tank, it is suffering from a brown algae (diatom) bloom at the moment which indicates to me the tank is suffering from 'new tank syndrome'. For those who don't know, that is when a new or thoroughly cleaned tank is filled with water and inhabitants are added before beneficial bacteria in the water reach a balance that reduces ammonia and nitrite levels conductive for aquatic life. Essentially, the tank is running before an 'ecosystem' can develop. Brown algae is a strong symptom of a tank that is currently cycling, so I think I will let these guys run their course, then maintain the tank as if they were still in there for 2 or 3 weeks, then try again. I'll know when its ready if I see green algae growing. This sucks, but at least the big one laid eggs for about seven days. That's gotta be at least 300 or more eggs, right?

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
Re the images you have to post it elsewhere so there is a url, then use the img button in the full reply screen

Sorry to hear they're on the way out but at least it sounds like you have eggs to try again.

Shouldn't another water change help them out though?

Posted Image

longicaudatus
Egg
Oh I did do a water change yesterday, I failed to mention that. I changed almost 50% of the water. Then 5 triops hatched after I did that. The smaller triops are all dead. The big guy seems ok, but it swims on its back and slowly sinks to the bottom all the time now. What a mess this tank is. I'm tempted to take the babies out with a pipette and place them in a smaller tank, but past experience has not been good. My water is very hard (450 ppm TDS) which I think allows a bacterial bloom to take over and kill everything in the small tank.

« Previous Topic · Triops Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply