Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Triops longicaudatus albino help
Topic Started: Jan 7 2018, 02:50 AM (203 Views)
jjj0nnn
Egg
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure where am i supposed to post this (its a question and its also about an exotic species haha..)

I've been keeping t. longs for years and recently started branching out on other species and t. long variants, I've successfully kept t. long black beauty, however my experience with albino has not been that great. I lost my previous batch completely to molting issues and my current batch is dying 1 or 2 days apart and i don't know why. They are 2 weeks old and i keep them in the same tank as my black beauties along with some cherry shrimp at 27 degrees (the black beauties are thriving in this condition). My question is are raising albinos any different from normal? I've tried a variety of remedies, from moving them to another tank, lowering the temperature etc, but the deaths still persist. Thanks and sorry for long post :).

The only reason i could think of apart from the possibility that albinos might be more sensitive is that the triops i got aren't actually t. longs and might be another species, they look slightly different in terms of shape from normal longs and black beauties (i will upload images later if i can)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
Yes, curious to see them. I have had a pink male long and two types of albino cancs, the first of those were candy apple red, the others were more fleshy. I find different batches (ie originating elsewhere, not different batches of the same colony) behave differently, some of my faves were very acrobatic, while others just dug in the sand. Can't say I know why your problem is occurring though, hope it sorts itself out.
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

jjj0nnn
Egg
Here are the images of the albinos I got, their bodies are longer and their carapaces are shorter than the normal ones (I uploaded an image of a few normals I have as well), which is why I'm having doubts as to whether they really are T. longs. So far one has survived, I'm keeping her in a styrofoam box, separate from the main tank for now. So far she seems healthy, molting and eating and all.

Ducky
Jan 7 2018, 01:37 PM
Yes, curious to see them. I have had a pink male long and two types of albino cancs, the first of those were candy apple red, the others were more fleshy. I find different batches (ie originating elsewhere, not different batches of the same colony) behave differently, some of my faves were very acrobatic, while others just dug in the sand. Can't say I know why your problem is occurring though, hope it sorts itself out.

@Ducky: Do you keep normal T.cancriformis as well? (since I realised people who keep T.cancriformis albinos are much more common than T.long albinos) I wanted to ask if your albinos require any extra care compared to normal T. cancriformis? I'm assuming if they do, T. long albinos should be the same. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

images are here
https://imgur.com/a/25t7l

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
Looks like opaque metallic pink to me (cool, I like!). Different than my pink male, who was more shiny and transparent. Do they have egg sacs? My pink male did not, that's how I know he was male, also he came out of the same sand as my normals that look similar to yours. He was as easy to care for as the others. Only ever got one though, all by himself. Yours do look like they could be male due to the short carapace. Or maybe that's just how they are. Very nice though!

Ive had many kinds of cancs and they were all the same for care, did a bunch at the same time. I still have not had two of the same types from different or even the same sources look exactly alike, there is always something that stands out, colour, shape, etc. Enjoy them, I am dry right now, well, lots of water but no hatchlings yet.

Posted Image

jjj0nnn
Egg
Ducky
Jan 9 2018, 06:40 AM
Looks like opaque metallic pink to me (cool, I like!). Different than my pink male, who was more shiny and transparent. Do they have egg sacs? My pink male did not, that's how I know he was male, also he came out of the same sand as my normals that look similar to yours. He was as easy to care for as the others. Only ever got one though, all by himself. Yours do look like they could be male due to the short carapace. Or maybe that's just how they are. Very nice though!

Ive had many kinds of cancs and they were all the same for care, did a bunch at the same time. I still have not had two of the same types from different or even the same sources look exactly alike, there is always something that stands out, colour, shape, etc. Enjoy them, I am dry right now, well, lots of water but no hatchlings yet.
Update:

It's grown a bit bigger now, turns out there was something in the main tank's water that they didn't like (I still don't know what it is). She's living pretty happily in the Styrofoam box.

@Ducky, yes, she's female, though her carapace is smaller, she has egg sacs and is laying eggs. I recently got some newberryis and green austrielensis from eBay. Will post more pictures when they get bigger. For now, these are my black beauty t. Longs, clam shrimp and fairy shrimp :)
https://imgur.com/a/3n25m

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
Well, viva la difference :) that's why troops are so interesting, the have evolved at different rates and times so they are pretty much all different. That's why I like to get back the ones I've seen before and then compare to new ones. Finally got some going myself as well.

The pic I saw when I clicked on the link was the pink one, didn't see the black at al.
If you hit view image and copy the link you can post as an image I think, here is your pic I saw

Posted Image
Edited by Ducky, Jan 19 2018, 02:32 PM.

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Triops 101 · Next Topic »
Add Reply