Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ducky's Logs starting Dec 31 2017 (2nd log); The continuing stories of Ducky's Triops et al
Topic Started: Dec 31 2017, 07:55 PM (205 Views)
Ducky
Member Avatar
Majorly addicted & want them all! :)
Ok starting a new log, I think 7 years was good enough for the first one, not that anything has happened for the last three and a half years. Let's see how the next 7 years go. There was actually a year of activity before that, I started in 2009.

Here is the link to my previous log (last page):
Ducky's Logs starting Dec 30 2010

Just hydrated 4 types of Longicaudatus. I don't really hold out too much hope for them as most have been tried many times before without success, but you never know til you try and there was sand to try.

1. The last bits from Wim's Bubblehead, emerald green. I really hope this last shot works, but I suspect not. Seems to be one egg. From 2011.
2. The eggs that Pineapple came from, her own sand never worked (yet, still have some in a container but it didn't go). But I hope to get a sibling so I can try for my own sand again of this type. Kind of the colour of the outside of a pineapple. Eggs are from 2009, still have some left. Thailand.
3. A regular type, a tiny bit of sand left after this but it has never been successful thus far. Sand is from 2009.
4. The last of gonochoric sand that never went, but did produce fairy shrimp before, each time I tried. It is not from dadasis, I have held out buying those from him, since I still had this sand, but if it doesn't go I will probably get some. Even if it does go, id probably still get the dadasis version just to compare. The sand is from 2009, came from same place as #3, Germany.

They are in tiny shampoo bottles from the dollar store (never had anything in them), with a tiny bit of Dasani water in them. Excited to see if anything comes, highest hopes for the pineapple eggs and fairy shrimp, anything else will be a pleasant and super welcome surprise.

Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ducky
Member Avatar
Nothing yet. Added a pinch of some powdered whitish food I had in one of the packages. It is weird stuff, made little hotdog shapes when it glommed together on the bottom. I added some more water today as I hadn't had much the day I started, figured it might help.

I also packed away some sand that was still in a container. I marked it silvery green longs but I could be mistaken, so this is to find out. Saw lots of eggs. If it is them that's fine as they are some of my favourites, they loop the loop all the time. If it isn't then it might be newberryis I had in an aquarium next to the one with the silvery green longs. Might also be beiges, I think in had them in that aquarium too at one time trying to get more green newberryis.

I saw the beiges for sale by dadasis and others recently. They all call them newberryis. Hmmmm. That would kind of make sense with the pack they came from, which said dark Newberryi, but they look nothing like the green ones that also came out of that pack. However I did get one out of the light pack which now seems identical to that green one from the dark pack. (I still have both their dried bodies). So....The thing is the beiges look more like black beauty longicaudatus in shape than other newberryis. So I'm still confused. This is them on eBay

eBay dadasis desert tadpole shrimp T riops Newberryi

Let me know what you think, I don't see how they fit into the evolutionary tree, although Newberryi does seem to be a branch of longicaudatus, so maybe that's why the confusion.

Posted Image

I wish there were pics of each one in that list so you could gauge them. Would love to have mine tested and placed on that list.

Probably also going to hydrate a couple of other not-sures to ensure what they are is what's on the package (Or update it). The rest is put away. I have one envelope left that doesn't have anything in it, but I suspect it was killifish. Was from someone in Montana with initials c.a.h.

So everything fits in 3 shoeboxes right now, other than old containers and big bags of sand.

Edited by Ducky, Jan 2 2018, 09:35 PM.

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Im not sure if #1 has an egg or not, it is kind of oval. Hoping but not really optimistic. #2 definitely has eggs.There were no eggs in the sand i had used for #3 so I added more, it's the last of it but at least now I can see eggs. Also could not see eggs for #4, the gonochoric, there was a smidge left so I added that too. Still not sure if i see eggs or egg shaped detritus, but there might be fairy shrimp in there too. #5 also not sure if there are eggs but I have the sand that was in the container to add if need be. I also hydrated my old container for mottled green longs, I figured I will try all my longs right now, so that is it a possibility of 6 types. Not sure if I see eggs but if no go will add some of my bagged sand to it as well. So the only one i have more for is #2, #5 and #6., the latter 2 i have my own sand. #2 maybe one last shot, one third of a capsule that also contains sand.

If I had a lot of reverse osmosis water I'd be hydrating more stuff but I have told myself that is it for January, just the longs. Oh wait there is also black beauty, 7 it is. Not doing the beiges since I suspect they are Newberryi, plus I'm pretty sure I'm ok for those, Will probably try them when I do the other Newberryi types.

Ok #7 is hydrated, pretty sure I saw eggs there. Again there is more sand if no go.

I also have pineapple's old container (#2) and one for the silvery longs (#5) on standby if the currently hydrated stuff doesn't go.

So, pretty sure I will get 3 types going eventually this month, anything else is bonus and will be hoping to get them to adulthood for more eggs if anything besides #5, 6, or 7 end up hatching.

Hard waiting for hatch, especially after a long time away from them, and with such old sand, and especially since some have never hatched upon previous tries. Looking forward to having some again and freshening up the collection.

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Hi Beasty, I can see you are reading this, hope you get validated soon :)
Edited by Ducky, Jan 5 2018, 05:59 AM.

Posted Image

Beasty
Egg
Just got validated and now I can post so I will be doing a tank log of my own :thumbup:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ducky
Member Avatar
Yep, well, i think i have the triops bug pretty bad. I hydrated the two containers I had on standby, figured I may as well test everything, otherwise it'll just be older the next time I get to it. If I get some then I know I'm ok for stock, otherwise it'll be try, try again until something works, or none of it does, and I break down and get new ones. Hoping I don't have to do that.

I also hydrated a container of seed shrimp. Some dried adults stuck to the sides, i was surprised, they got pretty big actually. I remember them fondly as little bubbles zooming around, if they go, I might get them a nice goldfish bowl, something nice so I can see them, and see how long the colony lasts.

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/DzsJQa]Posted Image[/url]20180106_014550 by duckyduck, on Flickr[/IMG]

Funny, facebook did one of those memory posts from seven years ago today and it was the green Newberryi in my Sig below.

Hope to see a live one again soon.

Edited by Ducky, Jan 6 2018, 07:25 AM.

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
I'm feeling a strange combination of excitement, boredom, and anxiety. Nothing has hatched. Hence the anxiety, it would be terrible if nothing hatches again ever out of what ive collected thus far, would have to start over. At the same time I can't believe that will be the case. Some of the stuff I hatched 3 years ago was the same age as some of the stuff I'm doing now, so I'll keep going until I have something alive at least. Excitement re the possibilities. So to combat the boredom and anxiety I have hydrated several more containers just to see what happens. I won't list them unless something happens, some are previous tries of things I'm already trying, some are new. They are identified on the containers. Have several more unmarked which I will also probably hydrate eventually. The idea is to clean up all this stuff and get to something or nothing, then store away the somethings and replace the nothing's as best I can. I was so happy to get everything packed up nicely but now I'm worried I packed up a bunch of duds, starting to feel like I need to have fresh ones of everything before I can put it away again for a long period of time, seems a bit daunting, especially with nothing going yet at all. Anyway I am cleaning up an area to put out some more stuff and see what happens. I'd like to get some of my containers cleaned up but since I'd need to wash them, may as well let them soak for awhile and see if anything goes first, before wiping them down, filtering the contents, cleaning them up and trying again...

Posted Image

Beasty
Egg
Dang I hope everything works out

Ducky
Member Avatar
Thanks, I hope so too. I'm going to let what ive hydrated sit for awhile, if it doesn't go I will extract the eggs and dry them, then try again. There's gotta be something that hatches at some point. Really hoping for sooner rather than later though!

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
So I was thinking, since the beiges seem to be Newberryi and not longs, could they have interfered with the other Newberryi that resulted in the one that was not as green as it's mother.

Here are the two that came from the same sand

Posted Image

And this I got from their sand after a gazillion beiges hatched out of it already

Posted Image

Hmmmm. Haven't tried hatching her sand yet... it's calling me....

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Well I'm calling the first batches of hydration a complete bust, but to be honest I just added water to random slush pile stuff, I didn't actually start with new containers for anything eixcept the first 4, and they were questionable lèftovers of old sand, so I didn't really expect them to go. However i am surprised the seed shrimp didn't do anything, I thought that would go for sure. I'll probably leave that one in case it just takes longer. I suspect most of it has fungal and/or bacterial issues, some for cloudy or smelled horrible.. But I think I will clean up most of it and start fresh with some of my own sand, at least that is in bags so any mold or other contaminants shouldn't have penetrated them. With the stuff that's sitting out now, If I see eggs, I'll collect and dry them, if not I'll either toss the container or clean it to reuse it, depending on how gross it is. Really hope it'll work to use my own sand, really didn't think I had a time limit, given several of the successes of the past were from eggs just as old. But I guess I just have to actually get er done to say all is well, or find out I have to buy some more, which I will likely do anyway, but was rather hoping to trade for new stuff, won't do that now until I have proven my eggs are still alive.

So I guess I will start cleaning up tomorrow. I cleaned out an old Styrofoam fish box to put my shoeboxes in to keep them safer from moisture and pests, so at least what I have in baggies should be safe. I hope I'm not just protecting dead sand though. Really wanna see a nauplius of some kind soon, and then the hope will switch to wanting it to reach adulthood and give me some fresh 2018 eggs, since the youngest I have are currently 2013. I guess I will start with the ones I have the least sand for, and my favourites. So I guess I will choose one or two of each species, let's see, silver green and mottled green longs, albino and regular cancs (I think my original beige black mottled since it is the first I brought to adulthood and still my fave of the cancs other than the albino), granarius, green and rose newberryis, and whatever those beiges are. If I could get all those to go I'd feel comfy again although I'd want to do fresh of all the rest too, and then try again for different ones, like albino longs, green cancs, australensis, etc.. So this log will probably go on until all existing stores of eggs have been tried and will either report success or failure thereof.

Edited by Ducky, Jan 12 2018, 01:25 AM.

Posted Image

BlueWanderer
Larva
FYI, none of my second generation has the coloration of its mother. They look exactly like this one
Posted Image

I think environment affects the coloration a lot.
Edited by BlueWanderer, Jan 16 2018, 02:09 AM.

Ducky
Member Avatar
It's funny though I raised the mother and that one pretty much the same way. But good to know you've had similar results

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Well i didnt clean up yet, had some bad things happen this weekend. but i have a day off tomorrow so we'll see. I did hydrate more containers just to see if anything goes but so far the answer is still no.
Today I hydrated sand from the mottled green longs from 2013. Pretty sure I see eggs, they are in one of the shampoo bottles I started this log with. It was the container that had the gonochoric sand but there were no eggs in it so I don't think there can be any mix-ups. Crossed fingers. Have more sand but really would like to see a hatching occur soon.

Update: also started some 2011 albino cancs in the first container I had going, what I thought was an egg turned into a smudge so nothing left of Willem bubblehead eggs unless there are some in the slush but I don't hold out much hope for that. Too bad, but maybe someday will have some like that. I also hydrated the 2013 container from albino cancs #2 for funsies, it looks clean and there are eggs in all three newly hydrated containers. I have some hope for these, really hope to see babies in the next week or so. It would be nice if both albino cancs hatched so I could compare them. #2 was more fleshy, so if only one goes I hope it is #1.
Edited by Ducky, Jan 16 2018, 11:47 PM.

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Woohoo! Hatchlings. Quite a few, too many to count at the moment. Well okay I saw three, but don't know if there may be more. Beiges laid in 2012. In an old container thats not the freshest. Had to know it would be beiges. Proof of concept anyway. Now to see if I can get a batch of fresh eggs from them. Still hoping for more species and types to hatch out of what has been hydrated, really would like to get them all back again before moving on to new ones. At least now I have these to keep me busy while waiting for the rest. Might try to separate a few out so there is more chance for survival. Also would like to see how big I can make them since in general they are a smaller species, and the best way to do that is to separate one out and feed it super well. So we shall see how that goes.

triops 4x zoom (click)

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Triops Tank Logs · Next Topic »
Add Reply