Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fie's Jurassic Parc; My first triops!
Topic Started: Jun 8 2017, 08:39 AM (270 Views)
fie
Member Avatar
Egg
Hi all,

I've recently been in Japan for holidays and that's where i first encountered triops raising, as in a kid's store as a toy. The box included a small aquarium, eggs, detritus and some baby food. I was intrigued by the picture on the box so i bought it, couldn't wait to go back home to try it.

So, back in Belgium, i set it all up, tap water in the aquarium, detritus and eggs in. After 2 days of nothing, i saw small jittery things, but they turned out to be Daphnia. And only after i almost gave up and about to throw it all away (i think a week after), i got my first triops. I was so excited!

Though little did i know, did a water change (probably waaaaaay too much) and Blinky died that same day.

I got hooked.

So i went to Amazon and bought more eggs (about 7eur for 100 eggs in Germany), and started searching the net for all information possible. I devoured all the "Triops care sheets" there were out there, and i think i've already read 90% of the posts in this forum before i applied :)

When the new batch arrived, i was prepared.

Used my old Japanese container, put in tapwater that i let sit for a day, then poured the detritus with ALL the eggs in it. And waited... And waited... Again, after 2 days i saw a gazillion Daphnia and some shrimp, but no Triops.

On day 3 though, we had a heat wave of 2 days, and that's when Barney, Bernadette and my 3 Bobs hatched!!

I had 5 happy triops hopping around!! :hyper:

I'm on day 8 now and Barney ate 2 Bobs, so i'm left with Barney, Bernadette and Leftover-Bob but they're still thriving in the small container. I have now set up a larger container with tiny snow white gravel and planning to move them on Saturday, in anticipation of them growing to adulthood and egg laying ^^

Side story: after day 4 of my Kindergarten Trio, i removed all the detritus into a separate glass bowl, thinking i could maybe have a thriving bowl of Daphnia to serve as food for B, B & B later on.
Then can another heat wave of a couple of days, and i now also have 10 baby triops in that bowl!! :shock:
I assume a couple of those will be eaten as well but they're now also on day 4 since their birth and all 10 are still alive.

I now have a set up of:
-A big aquarium (which is actually a refrigerator drawer that i never used) with snow white gravel.
-The Japanese small container with B&B.
-A smaller container with Leftover-Bob, who i had to separate because he's behind in growth and i fear he'll get eaten by B&B.
-A glass bowl with loads of Daphnia and 10 baby triops.

So what started as a curiosity is now what my friends and i call, my Jurassic Parc. :D

I'm so hooked! Keep staring and checking in on them all day long, seen them mold, seen them graze, seen them eat the 2 Bobs... :cry:

It's absolutely fascinating!

And i already have a waiting list of friends, who are now intrigued as well, for future eggs :D

Will post picture as well later ^^

Fie out! *runs back to her Science Corner (kitchen)*
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fie
Member Avatar
Egg
This is my set up: Jurassic Parc Set Up
And these are my 7 day old Barney and Bernadette: B&B

fie
Member Avatar
Egg
This was the Japanese toy box:
Posted Image

And a picture of today's Bob's mould :D (and a smaller one if you look real close):
Posted Image
Edited by fie, Jun 9 2017, 09:21 AM.

fie
Member Avatar
Egg
Well... Day 10 and ALL of them died overnight... In several tanks. The only reason i can think of is that we used a new mosquito repellent that was sprayed in the nearby living room.
Sad day...

Though there were a few Daphnia still alive so i put them in a clean jar and they are now thriving again. I'll thus still have Daphnia :)

And a new batch of eggs from Germany arrived, so i thoroughly cleaned all the tanks and gravel, poured new tap water in 3 of them, let it sit for 2 days and put in small batches of the new sand + eggs in little saucers in the aquaria.

It's waiting time :)

The reason i have now 3 separate aquaria is that i have 3 different kinds of gravel. So it'll be a good opportunity to experiment with what i prefer to work with.

I put the wood/leaves mix from before in one of the tanks and i already saw 3 little babies the day after. But since they were not in the floating saucer, i assume they still are from the Barney batch ^^

I am away from home now for 2 days so i'm very anxious to see whether any of the new batch have hatched as well. The being away part really helps me from not getting blind again, staring into the watery void for too long :p

And hope the 3 early ines are still alive as they hatched in quite a large tank...

HeavyMetal
Member Avatar
T long whisperer
Be careful of any bug sprays air fresheners and cleaners. They are also sensitive to copper so when you get food pay close attention to the ingredients.

fie
Member Avatar
Egg
Idd HeavyMetal, that was just pure stupidity that sent 14 triops to heaven prematurely...
And they were doing so well...

Anyway, i bought a very cheap magnifying glass for my iPhone yesterday, and gave it a try.
And discovered what newly hatched Nauplii look like!!

First Nauplius from above

Second Nauplius, side view
Edited by fie, Jun 17 2017, 07:29 AM.

fie
Member Avatar
Egg
Well, 2 of that batch survived and they're now on Day 40! I've collected about a 1000 eggs by now and still counting! My husband bought me an oxygen stone as an early BD present so my primitive aquarium (which is actually one of my refrigerator shelves) looks a bit more professional :) Ciboulet and Carlston love it!
Egg collecting is such a calming pass time, i can see myself doing this for the next days to come still.
And because Ciboulet and Carlston are reaching elderly age now, i've started a new batch, some albino Ebi Kabuto's this time. I'll keep you updated!!

(Now i have to figure out what to do with 1000 eggs :D... )

« Previous Topic · Triops Tank Logs · Next Topic »
Add Reply