Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Air Pump; Silencing Air Pumps
Topic Started: Feb 25 2017, 04:20 PM (280 Views)
General_Tung
Member Avatar
Egg
Hey guys! I am considering using an air pump with my aquarium. Anyone know about where to get silent air pumps, or how to make an air pump silent? :thumbup: :thanx:
You see things; and you say, Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say, Why not?
George Bernard Shaw
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lucidtal
Triops Longicaudatus
Hihi!

I find that air pumps are easy to come by on local classifieds sites, like kijiji and craigslist. One thing that worked for me to make my guppy tank air pump almost silent was to put a cloth under it, and making sure that the pump and hose never touch the table or any nearby stuff. It keeps my airpump quieter. Some people do that + keep it in a drawer.

Make sure not to use the airpump in the tank with your triops when they are small babies! It will kill them pretty fast, they are really delicate until they are larger (maybe 1" or bigger, and can swim against the current? ). I used to leave the airpump in a large jug of water to keep it oxygenated before adding the water slowly to the triop tank to give them oxygenated water, that can work for baby triops too.

General_Tung
Member Avatar
Egg
I was thinking of adding an air pump because sometimes the heat rises to 30 ish and then i have to add more water, or turn everything off, which is a hassale. I was considering buying an silent pump though.
You see things; and you say, Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say, Why not?
George Bernard Shaw

lucidtal
Triops Longicaudatus
Wow!! You must live somewhere really really warm! The air pump is a good idea, but again it isn't good for the triops when they are babies. Buying a silent air pump is a great idea!

General_Tung
Member Avatar
Egg
I live in Canada. But the air conditioner always rises to like 23 ish. I also use a heater. :rofl1:
George Bernard Shaw

lucidtal
Triops Longicaudatus
Oh great! If you are in Canada, you can actually go without a heater! 23C is perfect for most triops :)

General_Tung
Member Avatar
Egg
Well, lucidtal, the problem is, the tank will always drop in temp, then kill the triops. That's why I use a heater.
George Bernard Shaw

« Previous Topic · D.I.Y. · Next Topic »
Add Reply