Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Snail Behavior; doesn't look good
Topic Started: Feb 24 2013, 12:35 PM (1,838 Views)
NilesCrane
Egg
At the moment, I have 3 snails in a 3 gallon tank: A Golden Inca, A Black Mystery, and a Nerite. The Inca is about 1-1/2" diameter, the Mystery about 3/4", and the Nerite about 1/2". They mainly stick to the sides of the the tank and eat algae, although I throw a shrimp pellet in daily, which disappears overnight.
Here's the weird part: The Inca gets on top of the Mystery, immobilizing it with its foot, and does something to it. While this is going on, the Mystery is about 1/4" out of its shell, and moves around as if in distress. After these episodes, the Mystery seems unharmed. I read conflicting information about whether or not these types of snails will attack each other. I don't know the sex of either of the snails.
The nerite seldom comes off the sides, and seems uninvolved.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ducky
Member Avatar
Majorly addicted & want them all! :)
Both Inca and Mystery Snails are varieties of Apple Snails. Therefore my guess is they mated.
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown below? Please show me!
Posted Image

Wrod
Member Avatar
Chicken Nugget
+1
also you can tell which is the male by looking under the shell opposite of the side where the breathing tube is
and if their is something that looks like a sack... thats the penis...
dont try forcing the snail to see it just look for it when its moving around

also ramshorns mate the same way except ramshorns are tiny and dont overlap each other

my apple snail is a guy btw thats how i know this stuffs

also if algae grows on their shells its not harmful, sort of like a beard on a human, the snails usually eat it off each other
im letting the algae grow on mine i think it looks cool
Have baby Triops Australiensis(Queensland)
Visit my youtube channel TheFirstWilly

BlackEyedTriops
Member Avatar
T.canc hatchlings
omg i wouls like a free snail :) if they mate and have offsprings gimme one :P

or you can cook them french man style :P
Triops cancriformis is the best!

Wrod
Member Avatar
Chicken Nugget
idk about shipping live animals...
but most pet stores will give them to you for free because they consider them pests
or you can buy live plants, they usually hitch a ride on them
thats how i got mine

and they did make babies btw
its like a new batch of babies every few weeks

Wrod
Member Avatar
Chicken Nugget
also they apparently love sand
as in if you put some in a corner of an aquarium they will all stay around the sand

Wrod
Member Avatar
Chicken Nugget
ive just learned something slightly disturbing about them from my experiment tank

whenever 2 snails are competition for each other they fight to the death and the loser gets eaten by the victor which also seems to attract other snails for it to mate with

i find it weird too considering they are hermaphrodites

tadpoleshrimp77
Egg
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I picked up a medium size Golden Apple Snail today AKA Mystery Snail but I read in some places on this forum that Apple Snails will harm and can even kill Triops. Is this right? Also if the snail wont harm my triops will they eat my Triops eggs? If this isn't the right place for this just let me know.

Leroy628
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
I've heard that they can be kept together but i'm not really sure.
He has saved us and called us to a holy life, not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time.

2 Timothy 1:9

tadpoleshrimp77
Egg
I read on My Triops website that Apple Snails are excellent to keep with Triops but ive also seen people say distilled or reverse osmosis water is best for hatching but any instructions ive ever recieved say to never use those waters and to only use natural spring water bottled at the source and I use natiral spring water from a local spring that has good calcium in it and I have never had any problems hatching, molting, or raising. So maybe its in the eye of the beholder.
Edited by tadpoleshrimp77, Mar 5 2016, 02:13 AM.

Leroy628
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
The triassic triops instructions say that the water must not be purified by distillation, ozonation, or reverse osmosis. but i use water that is all three of those and it works great!
He has saved us and called us to a holy life, not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time.

2 Timothy 1:9

« Previous Topic · Non-Vernal Aquatic Invertebrates · Next Topic »
Add Reply