Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pictures of my Sister's greenhouse; lots of carnivorous plants
Topic Started: Jun 5 2012, 11:43 AM (1,241 Views)
saarlak
Larva
Popped down to my Sister's over the bank holiday and managed to squeeze in five minutes to grab some snaps of her greenhouse. Janet was a little reluctant to let me in with a camera, she's hatched two wonderful kids over the last three years and they are about to move house, so she's not put the work she normally would into her collection, leaving dead traps on plants and letting things get a bit over grown, but to me it's still pretty stunning. It's not picture perfect, and I didn't have time to do it justice, but I'm sure you'll forgive us both!

Posted Image

2/3rds of her sarracenia collection.

Posted Image

Her sundew, butterwort, venus flytrap and bladderwort area. Looking very overgrown, but even the weeds are carnivourous plants that have overgrown their pots!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Various sarracenia pitchers and flowers, Janet was a little disappointed, her favourite plant Sarracenia Imhotep (?) hasn't produced any new pitchers yet as it's decided to split instead, but there were only 5 in the country when she got it, so that makes at least 6.

Posted Image

I wasn't sure if she had this, it's bladderwort, the aquatic carnivourous plant. The little, out of focus (sorry), white blob you can barely see is a bladder that catches aquatic life. She calls it a weed, it just grows in the trays the other plants are kept in.

To be fair that's the surface barely scratched, but I hope you enjoyed the briefest of tours, I thoroughly enjoyed the humble enthusiasm my sister showed for what is, to me, an amazing collection.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Wow!
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
(* = successfully hatched and raised to adulthood)
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp
For sale: nothing ATM

Faelwen
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
Soo cool:) And so big xD Lucky you to have acces to these awesome plants. My fav is the last one:)

saarlak
Larva
I find the bladderworts fascinating too, not really compatible with triops though! I think they are a UK native, although they're the only UK native carnivorous plant I've never spotted in the wild.

Posted Image

Spotted this clump of sundew while crossing Scotland a few years back (terrible pic, but I had just walked 1.5km with a canoe on my head!).

When it comes to my sister the number of reasons I feel lucky to have her in my life makes access to her greenhouse seem insignificant, she's pretty amazing (not least for producing two fantastic kids).

Faelwen
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
Bladderwort plant can be found all over the world;) I remember learning about them in Invertebrates as we mentioned they often catch Daphnia:) (see wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utricularia).
I think they could work with triops, but only adults as their traps arent really that big:)

« Previous Topic · Chitchat · Next Topic »
Add Reply