Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Triops Cancriformis protected species UK
Topic Started: Feb 6 2012, 01:02 PM (3,129 Views)
triopsman
Triops Newberryi
Removed, no longer relevant
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Thanks, triopsman. Folks, please be careful and apply for a license if you wish to trade these eggs! And of course, it goes without saying that you need to leave protected species in their natural environment alone and ALWAYS obtain eggs from another source.

And by the way, if you know that someone is obtaining their eggs from a protected source, I would suggest that you do report them. We need to help protect wild triops!
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
(* = successfully hatched and raised to adulthood)
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp
For sale: nothing ATM

TriopsBeginner
Member Avatar
T. Cancs
Maybe if you get a load of people to get up to scotland and throw a load of eggs into pools that have no t. cancs then they will slowly become less endangered ^^

You never know :)

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
ack, TB, no..., that could create much genitic pollution....if you need an explaination of why pm me and i will be happy to explain in detail.
i do invasive exotic removal and habitat restoration here in the us. many a well wisher has inadvertantly made a mess of unique genitacly distinct wild populations of native critters by releasing simmilar/same things from other geographical loctions.

and that sucks mark, best of luck to you as i know you have been muy responsible in your endevor to educate and responsibily bring triops to many of us vp geeks over the past few years.

MONARCHD
Member Avatar
It's like finding a needle in a stack of needles
Unless you set up a fish tank in your back yard and waited for a triops egg to blow into it, all triops we raise originally came from their wild habitat. I know this for a fact because Don has asked me for a sample from a pond near my house. (fairy shrimp, not triops) The differences is that every time I swap or sell eggs I'm not grabbing more from that puddle. I took a pinch of dry earth from the side home in a dime bag, hatched three fairy shrimp, and now I have more eggs in my tank than I know what to do with.

I do agree we shouldn't be devastating their natural habitats. Almost any species can be acquired through fellow enthusiasts(love you all), websites, and universities. They only need to be taken from their lovely mud puddles once! :D
T. longicaudatus green/ T. longicaudatus marbled/ T. longicaudatus black beauty/ T. longicaudatus gonochoric/ T. cancriformis/ T. albino cancriformis/ T. granarius/ L. cryptus/ T. mauritanicus

Paleone
Member Avatar
Larva
I'm currently awaiting an email response from Natural England to a second enquiry but when I have all the relevant information regarding owning T. Cancriformis and selling their eggs I will share it here.
Raising Canc's.

Paleone
Member Avatar
Larva
The second email is slow in coming but the 1st did confirm that no license is needed, but under NO circumstances should they (both adults and eggs) ever be allowed to escape or be released into the wild if you keep them in the UK as domestic stock may carry their own unique bacteria and interfere with the local ecosystem.
And if you wished to sell any eggs on, you would have to specifically advertise them as non-UK-native stock.
Raising Canc's.

« Previous Topic · Exotic Species of Triops · Next Topic »
Add Reply