Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What species is the pictured Triops?
Queensland (Australiensis or Newberryi) 5 (23.8%)
Longicaudatus 16 (76.2%)
Other 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 21
What Species is This?; Queensland? Longicaudatus?
Topic Started: Jan 11 2012, 05:07 AM (4,428 Views)
Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
Ok I really can't seem to decide but I think the Triops I have right now are related to the pink male longicaudatus I had before, rather than being Queenslands as I first suspected. What do you think?

Here is the pink male from last year:

Posted Image

Here are pics I took yesterday of the ones I have now (females):

Posted Image

Posted Image
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Triopdude13
Larva
Looks like a longicaudatus or a newberryi,because it has a slightly flattened carapace.

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
here is an updated pic

Posted Image

i substituted for a newer pic as it seems the first was a bad link.

Posted Image

Triopdude13
Larva
its a longicaudatus 100% sure

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
This isn't my forte, but it looks more like longicaudatus to me.

I wasn't aware that there were Queensland newberryis? Are they a silver color morph of T. newbs?
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
(* = successfully hatched and raised to adulthood)
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp
For sale: nothing ATM

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
i read on the ebay page for schulvarium queenslands that a scientist has shown they are closer related to newberryi than australiensis. but there is still debate so nothing is for certain as yet. but dadasis also mentions the newberryi family on his queensland ebay page.

It makes some sense, just like australiensis sakalavus is only found in Madagascar, if aussies can travel that far why couldn't newberryis make it to Queensland. Also makes sense re the colour since evidently the closer you get to the equator the lighter the Triops are supposed to be.

I agree with the T. longicaudatus identification. Had fooled myself into thinking they were Queenslands because they came out of a container that said queensland, but it was a slush container and probably some longs just happened to get in there. The beige longicaudaus i have to compare with them have a much skinnier carapace and are generally smaller so that made them seem like Queenslands in comparison. They strike me as the female version of the pink one as they are still pink, the only green is what they have in their gut (which by the way i don't feed them green food so that's a bit weird).

Posted Image

sporegod
Member Avatar
triops maniac
Looks like long with a lot of hemoglobin but the whip tail (cant spell wat it really is XD) is too short and tail too skinny looks more like a queens though and antanea look weird ????
I love triops to death im trying my hardest to learn everything from anatomy to species to attitude probably the craziest triops lover here ^.^ I also hope to start a triops and vernal pool dwellers shop on ebay one day if you ever need to contact me and would like to talk i have kik its convenient for me its now unicornenzyme I had to ditch the old account

Posted Image

~The triops forums the only place where soap and kitchens are bad things~

sporegod
Member Avatar
triops maniac
Forget wat I said its 100% longs the egg sac gives it away
I love triops to death im trying my hardest to learn everything from anatomy to species to attitude probably the craziest triops lover here ^.^ I also hope to start a triops and vernal pool dwellers shop on ebay one day if you ever need to contact me and would like to talk i have kik its convenient for me its now unicornenzyme I had to ditch the old account

Posted Image

three-fingers
Member Avatar
Egg
Looks like what I would call the "long form" of T.longicaudatus, I have had this type hatch out of the detritus "tea-bags" when using one of these kits. The pure cysts that came with the kit were of the "short form". My understanding is that there are colour, carapace shape and tail length differences between the two forms. I first read about the differences here, 6th para down.

Now about the T.australiensis "Queensland", from my reading of the species profiles on primeval-shrimps.com, these are possibly actually Triops longicaudatus intermedius from New Caledonia. "Queensland" were the first "Australian" triops to become available on the internet, so they are naturally the most easily available. There are a lot of mislabeled photos and confusion on the web about this species, for more info read here!

Triops australiensis australiensis or "Aussie green triops" are supposedly the real deal (along with a couple of other Australian types), but I cant say first hand how they differ from the "Queensland" type as I'm still waiting to hatch my cysts :). Will post some pictures for comparison when I do though!

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
I'm still a bit lost on this queensland thing, the longs i have now (same as the ones above) i agree are the long tailed form of longicaudatus, but all photos i see of queensands look very similar to these. the intermedius thing makes sense with what they were saying a couple years ago about queenslands being closer to newberryis than aussies, since intermedius is i believe the link between longs and newberryis. and now it seems they think they are actually longs to begin with, that originated in the states, maybe this is a case of mistaken id (maybe someone brought some over to queensland, and the queensland fellow found them and thought they were indigenous?)

Posted Image

three-fingers
Member Avatar
Egg
My reading was that the Triops longicaudatus intermedius are likely from the island of New Caledonia, which the article points out is close to Queensland geographically, and is a known habitat for T.longicaudatus. My guess is that they were either brought to Queensland from New Caledonia by a hobbyist/scientist then to labs/webshops etc. Or its possible the cysts spread to Queensland via the wind and they were actually collected in the wild in Australia and simply assumed to be T.austaliensis.

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
that makes a lot of sense.

Posted Image

MONARCHD
Member Avatar
It's like finding a needle in a stack of needles
It's a male long. Their coloration/shape is different than the females. (unless it has egg sacks.... then i'm totally off :D )
T. longicaudatus green/ T. longicaudatus marbled/ T. longicaudatus black beauty/ T. longicaudatus gonochoric/ T. cancriformis/ T. albino cancriformis/ T. granarius/ L. cryptus/ T. mauritanicus

MONARCHD
Member Avatar
Oops... didn't see how old this topic was, You probably knew the answer :S sorry for da bump :P
T. longicaudatus green/ T. longicaudatus marbled/ T. longicaudatus black beauty/ T. longicaudatus gonochoric/ T. cancriformis/ T. albino cancriformis/ T. granarius/ L. cryptus/ T. mauritanicus

sporegod
Member Avatar
triops maniac
Lol actually on a side picture you see eggs so it female

Posted Image

MONARCHD
Member Avatar
yeah, another reason why I think the first pick is a male long, that female definitely is a long.

BlackEyedTriops
Member Avatar
T.canc hatchlings
long 100%
Triops cancriformis is the best!

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
yep i've decided they are longs but they sure are super wide carapaces compared to, say, the black longs, which look just like my beiges... it does get confusing...

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Exotic Species of Triops · Next Topic »
Add Reply