Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Contemplation.; To buy, or not to buy?
Topic Started: Nov 22 2011, 10:10 AM (3,195 Views)
gummykoalas
Egg
So in my country, our Triops distributor is a company called UAN Triops. It's basically Triops eggs I guess, with a mini dropper thing, a small container, a temperature strip, Triops eggs and food, the user care manual , and I think that's all. The price is $20 SGD.
The bad part is that I heard that there are only two eggs per kit. Which means if both fail to hatch, my twenty bucks is wasted.
That's the only thing I'm wary about I guess. Also, how long would it take before they can reproduce? And what's the chance of dud eggs?
I have never seen the UAN Triops packaging stating if their eggs are 'pure' - what does that mean anyway?
So that's about it. I may find the kits cheaper at a LFS (Local Fish Store). :o Should I buy that Triops kit?
Thanks for the help! And if you read, refuse to answer or give your :2cents: , I shall :poke: you with my mighty stick. :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ducky
Member Avatar
Majorly addicted & want them all! :)
i recommend buying from dadasis on ebay. i paid $4 US shipping to Canada, not sure what it is to Singapore, but that makes even some of the more exotic ones available to you for approx the same price (20 SGD = 15 USD) and for sure you will get more than 2 eggs.

pure just means without sand. but pure doesn't mean natural. i've always had better luck with sand, which is how it comes from dadasis, no tools or other stuff, although instructions did come with some items. but it doesnt matter you can find what you need here on the forum.

takes about 2 weeks before they will lay eggs, give or take.

if you mean duds from the ones you buy, depends where you buy them. have not had duds from dadasis, have had from others. i think that perhaps the kits eggs may not last as long as they mass produce them and probably don't use sand at all, just collect the eggs constantly. in that case there would be very little evapourated minerals formed on them when they dry and are probably weaker than those that are left to dry in the midst of particulate matter that would create a more solid coating on the egg to aid in its longevity. there are evidently eggs that will hatch without drying, and then there are those that will remain inert long enough to dry out and be coated and protected.

I have one type of Triops that start to hatch the minute there is no adult in the water. I figure they are thin skinned ones able to sense the hormone levels in the water.

if you mean your own Triops' eggs? again it depends on many factors and would be rather difficult to determine. for the most part if your Triops reach egg laying stage, you will have Triops eggs to hatch again in the future, and even if they don't reach that age, there may be leftovers from the first batch a well that will hatcch after drying again.

good luck, let us know what happens
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Yule
Egg
HI,

I just bought UAN Triops from a petstore in Vivo City Singapore, top floor. 5 days ago they hatched, first there was only 1 small ball of fluff swimming around using two arms, i thought for sure it would be the only one -_- But the next day there was 2 more and by night fall there was a total of 6 :) They are still alive right now, 6 days old and about 2.5 to 3mm long. I can tell you that the pack that i bought had way more then just 2 eggs my friend :) Had atleast 10, saw them floating around, little brown eggs. Bought mine for 15 SGD cuz they were on sale.

But I dont guarantee that all UAN triop packs will be as successful as mine though, so I u cant blame me if non of yours hatch :(

Correct me if im wrong, but from what i can tell, the triop eggs bought from enthusiasts/ triop owners seem to have a higher hatch rate compared to those bought from companies. Probably cuz of a higher egg count per buck maybe?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ducky
Member Avatar
Majorly addicted & want them all! :)
i'm not sure what makes for good egg hatching, still learning myself, but i guess one factor is the age of the eggs...i'm sure the retailers try to sell the oldest first, and they just figure if they don't hatch you'll contact the company and then they can sell you more eggs, so it's a double benefit for them to do it that way. you complain, they send you a newer batch that's more likely to work, you're happy again and will probably buy from them again in that case. i think they collect the eggs as fast as they can, whereas a hobbyist is likely to let the water evapourate on its own in a more natural way, usually along with the sand. it's usually right after that that they'll test the eggs and if the hatch is successful, they immediately put them for sale on ebay, so they are generally "fresh" when sold by a hobbyist. they are more likely to have smaller batches but more types as well. also a hobbyist will often continue to hydrate the same sand every time they wanted a batch of that type, and that would mean that successive generations would enrich that same sand with even more eggs (as there would still be some that hadn't hatched as well) whereas a wholesale operation would likely just continue to collect eggs off a non substrated bottom and then throw some of the dried eggs in another vat to get the next batch going.

here's the result of hydrating all the sand from a single female that laid eggs for 18 days:

Posted Image

so you could see how the sand is now likely many times as enriched as the first time, since most of these lived and were each laying their own eggs for quite a long time as well, plus there were many eggs left over from that first hydration (see all the ones stuck to the sides above the water line, near the top of the pic, it was like that all around the container). so next time i will probably just use a little bit of that sand and get the same result as you see here.

i think it also depends on how that particular species has evolved. the ones in the pic lay a lot of "spring" eggs, and i think they respond to hormone levels. when i remove the last adult from the water, they often spontaneously hatch immediately afterward, no drying required. when i slush their water there is inevitably a "surprise" hatching in swampish dirty water that no one would expect to work to hatch a Triops, and yet there they are. others may have evolved in an area that isn't as reliably hydrated and may have evolved to await hydration for a certain period of time before hatching (so as not to immediately dry out before being able to lay eggs if it was not enough to fill the puddle, etc.) (i.e. the only ones that survived were the ones that waited longer, and they passed that trait on to their offspring).

but yes i would definitely go for the hobbyist eggs, much more variety and better chance of a hatch.
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Chitchat · Next Topic »
Add Reply