Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ramblings
Topic Started: Sep 18 2011, 03:48 AM (1,096 Views)
Aubandain
Triops Longicaudatus
so, anyone else out there think that today's society in America has become too complacent? i mean, what happened to the days when we weren't afraid to build our own lives without needing a government program to bail us out "just in case"?

when i was growing up we were poor... but not by most of the worlds standards. i never got an "allowance" and i never went to college... but it didn't matter. by the time i was 17 i was building my own solar panels, wind generators, lasers, and mixing my own rocked fuel, all with no regular income and a lot of trash. actually, i would take trash and make things people would buy.

i hardly ever see things like that anymore.

i dont get it, as technology progresses today's youth should have even more opportunities open to them, but they never seem to see it that way. all i ever hear about is how hard it is for them to find jobs, but they pass up the jobs they dont want to do. it makes no sense... i used my first job to build up a supply of animals to start a pet store at the local flea market. i was careful about what i bought and sold and built a very successful business that brought in several thousand dollars a week... by the time i was 20. the crazy thing was that i couldnt for the life of me convince anyone that they could do the same thing.

another thing is land. nobody seems to want to buy it until they are like 30. the way i see it is if you have an acre of land and a little water, you have an almost endless list of possibilities.

i know i am on one of these :soapbox: , but seriously, this is still the land where you can dream and do. maybe i just keep seeing the wrong side of America...

any thoughts?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TCans
Member Avatar
T cancriformis
Aubandain
Sep 17 2011, 10:48 PM
so, anyone else out there think that today's society in America has become too complacent? i mean, what happened to the days when we weren't afraid to build our own lives without needing a government program to bail us out "just in case"?

when i was growing up we were poor... but not by most of the worlds standards. i never got an "allowance" and i never went to college... but it didn't matter. by the time i was 17 i was building my own solar panels, wind generators, lasers, and mixing my own rocked fuel, all with no regular income and a lot of trash. actually, i would take trash and make things people would buy.

i hardly ever see things like that anymore.

i dont get it, as technology progresses today's youth should have even more opportunities open to them, but they never seem to see it that way. all i ever hear about is how hard it is for them to find jobs, but they pass up the jobs they dont want to do. it makes no sense... i used my first job to build up a supply of animals to start a pet store at the local flea market. i was careful about what i bought and sold and built a very successful business that brought in several thousand dollars a week... by the time i was 20. the crazy thing was that i couldnt for the life of me convince anyone that they could do the same thing.

another thing is land. nobody seems to want to buy it until they are like 30. the way i see it is if you have an acre of land and a little water, you have an almost endless list of possibilities.

i know i am on one of these :soapbox: , but seriously, this is still the land where you can dream and do. maybe i just keep seeing the wrong side of America...

any thoughts?

Im English but were just the same here. There is so much tech out now but unless you find a niche in it, there is nothing i could do that a million other couldn't. With the job thing, i know what you mean because i used to do it, i used to take only security jobs when i was 18 and they were easy to get. Now where i live there is over 100 people going for every job, i live in a smaller city but i know down london its the same because of family telling me.

I am thinking of buying and selling on ebay, but again it's finding what to sell & the right time. Im not skilled in much manual things that i could make to a quality to sell.

They have just told everybody here in 5 - 10 years only rich people will be able to buy a house, Land is even more pricey. Very very few people here would be able to buy some land.

My thoughts are things will change in the next few years, for better or for worse we will soon see.
You will trust him because you think you are him.

If You Change The Rules On What Controls You,
You Will Change The Rules On What You Can Control.

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Quote:

Which program are you talking about?
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
(* = successfully hatched and raised to adulthood)
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp
For sale: nothing ATM

« Previous Topic · Chitchat · Next Topic »
Add Reply