Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Class time capsule; Adding triops a good idea?
Topic Started: Apr 9 2011, 03:44 AM (1,382 Views)
..Abundance..
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
My Info Tech class is making a time capsule that will be opened again in 40 years. My idea was to put a glass jar of some sand containing triops eggs as a little experiment for Bio11-12 in 40 years. My teacher approved and though it was a cool idea. Do you think the eggs will survive and be a testament to the Triops resiliance?
If there is another apocalypse and mass extinction, I have no doubt in my mind that my triops will live, and populate the post apocalyptic earth....and then..... They EVOLVE
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gatlingpeas
gatlingpeas
i Don't know

But i hope it will survive

Ducky
Member Avatar
Majorly addicted & want them all! :)
It would be neat to find out. I've heard 20-25 years, and that's really why i got into triops, i love the idea of keeping pets in suspended animation, but of course the only way to test it is to find some eggs that have been around that long...wouldn't know where to look for them, scientiests would be the only ones with access to the originally found specimens out there and they don't seem to share with hobbyists. I also don't know whether they keep fresh suppies going or just let them die out (the latter being a horrible waste)...

However I do have some packages of brine shrimp in salt that I know came from the 1970's, it came with some old stock brine shrimp hatcheries I bought. I haven't tried the experiment of hatching them yet, but I guess I will just for fun (i have more than one packet of them, foil paper packet like a kraft dinner cheese packet...

So they'd be about 40 years old now...i know they are different than triops but if they hatch, i can't see why triops wouldn't. if they don't, then we still need to test 40 year old triops eggs. plus i think it depends on whether the vessel they are in has oxygen or not, if you can make it as close to a vacuum as possible i think they'd last longer. probably matters how the eggs were prepared, whether they were spring eggs or eggs that developed just before the water was all gone, etc.

I do know for sure you can wait several years, because i bought most of mine in 2008, and i don't have too much trouble hatching them, i really only started hatching them in 2010 around september. and since i didn't try them at the time, can't say whether age has anything to do with the ones i have trouble with. maybe just bad samples.

so in the interests of science I'm going to start a packet of the 40 year old brine shrimp. was told bythe guy not to use them, they probably won't work, but you don't know till you try, right?

Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TCans
Member Avatar
T cancriformis
..Abundance..
Apr 8 2011, 10:44 PM
My Info Tech class is making a time capsule that will be opened again in 40 years. My idea was to put a glass jar of some sand containing triops eggs as a little experiment for Bio11-12 in 40 years. My teacher approved and though it was a cool idea. Do you think the eggs will survive and be a testament to the Triops resiliance?

Good idea, but can you do something for me, put some instructions of how to hatch. Also can you put a peice of paper with these numbers wrote on it please...

thanks
You will trust him because you think you are him.

If You Change The Rules On What Controls You,
You Will Change The Rules On What You Can Control.

..Abundance..
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
Of course I'm going to put instructions and requirements for them! It's going to be an experiment for the later generations.

And can I ask about the importance of those numbers?
If there is another apocalypse and mass extinction, I have no doubt in my mind that my triops will live, and populate the post apocalyptic earth....and then..... They EVOLVE

TCans
Member Avatar
T cancriformis
..Abundance..
Apr 10 2011, 10:53 AM
Of course I'm going to put instructions and requirements for them! It's going to be an experiment for the later generations.

There future events that will effect the world.
You will trust him because you think you are him.

If You Change The Rules On What Controls You,
You Will Change The Rules On What You Can Control.

zaky9
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
TCans
Apr 11 2011, 01:55 PM
..Abundance..
Apr 10 2011, 10:53 AM

There future events that will effect the world.

You have to make sure the last one is 2051 though just to freak them out :rofl2:

« Previous Topic · Chitchat · Next Topic »
Add Reply