Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Equipment You'll Need
Topic Started: Jan 5 2011, 07:04 PM (8,369 Views)
LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Welcome to the wonderful world of triops! To get started, you'll need some equipment. This is a basic guide to what you should consider when buying supplies.

The hatching container
A small container is best for hatching your triops. That way, the larvae won't have trouble finding their food.

A liter or a quarter-gallon would be about as big as you'll need for your triops. A brand-new food storage container is perfect. You could also use a fishbowl (seeing as they're too small for actual fish!). Any container that you haven't washed with soap or used chemicals in should be fine.

The tank
The size of your tank depends on how many triops you plan to keep. Half a gallon per triops is plenty for most species; the larger species may need more water, but T. longicaudatus, the kind you probably have, is an average size.

You can get tanks at any pet store, or find them used on sites like craigslist.org. You could also check yard sales and the classified in your newspaper. Any tank, new or used, should be rinsed thoroughly with clean water before use.

If your tank is used, you may wish to check it for leaks. To do so, fill it with water, dry the outside thoroughly, and place it on top of dry newspaper. Leave it overnight, then check to see if the newspaper is wet or dry.

The filter
Filters are optional. Triops don't need a cycled tank like fish and most other aquatic animals do. Filters can keep the tank looking much nicer, and they oxygenate the water. Nearly any type of filter will work. Choose one that has a 5x to 10x turnover rate - that means that in one hour, it pumps ten times the amount of water that is in your tank. For a five-gallon tank, you will want a filter that pumps 25 to 50 gph (gallons per hour).

The heater
Heaters are also optional, depending on the species of triops you plan to keep and the temperature of the room where you plan to keep them. If you do decide to use a heater, you will need to pick one that is strong enough, but not too strong. If it's not powerful enough, it won't keep the tank warm. If it's too powerful, it may overheat the tank and kill your triops. Heaters are ranked for tank size according to watts - units of electricity. Your heater should have 5W (five watts) for each gallon of water in your tank. A five-gallon tank needs a heater that's around 25W, but a bit more or less is OK.

When you plug in your heater, MAKE SURE IT'S UNDERWATER! Otherwise, it may explode. I am not kidding. This can happen. It's not pleasant, from what I hear. The heater should be underwater at any time that it is on!

The siphon
You might want to use a siphon to clean your triops tank. This is a hose that sucks water and debris. A very simple and inexpensive one will do fine.
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
(* = successfully hatched and raised to adulthood)
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp
For sale: nothing ATM
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Faelwen
Member Avatar
Triops Newberryi
thanks a lot for this post LilGreenPuffer:) Especially for the filter and heater part:)

Ducky
Member Avatar
Majorly addicted & want them all! :)
Hi, great post!

Just re the tank, although they are not usually expensive to get used, if you live in a rural area like I do it might be hard to find some that are inexpensive and/or available. However 5-10 gallon plastic bins from the dollar store work great too, or even bulk food containers, and I find the white ones better to see little Triops than clear containers, plus they aren't as heavy so you can set them on your lap to take a close look at your babies :)

Just thought I'd mention it!

Oh and you are right about the heater needing to be underwater. At best it'll burn out and it won't work anymore.

I also like pipettes & turkey basters for removing debris and/or moving eggs or Triops if they are small enough.
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown below? Please show me!
Posted Image

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
Good post.
In small tanks a turkey baster can also be helpful in removing visible waste/sediment from the water.

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Oh yeah, plastic bins as tanks - I can't believe I forgot that! I do that all the time. Thanks!
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
(* = successfully hatched and raised to adulthood)
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp
For sale: nothing ATM

Reiderabbot
Egg
For detritus, are you able to buy it in a container from a store or do you have to put it together yourself?

« Previous Topic · Triops 101 · Next Topic »
Add Reply