Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What species do you have?; And which do you still want?
Topic Started: Oct 4 2010, 06:20 PM (7,623 Views)
LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
I have:
-T. longicaudatus (regular, black, and gonochoric)
-T. australiensis (green)
-T. canciformis (regular, Bavarian, and red/albino)
-T. granarius
I haven't hatched the canciformis, aussies, or gonochoric longicaudatus yet.

I want:
-T. newberryi - I had some and they didn't make it longer than a couple days
-Regular, silver, and blue aussies (ETA: Apparently, blue aussies = not real. Sad!)
-Today, I learned about T. mauritanicus and T. simplex!
-And I would totally love those 6" African ones that Kannachan13 said are illegal. :( (ETA: T. numidicus, which isn't really a species and is actually a strain of T. granarius)

Down the road, I'd like to try some Lepidurus, but I know the temperature requirements will be prohibitive for a while.
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
(* = successfully hatched and raised to adulthood)
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp
For sale: nothing ATM
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kannachan13
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
I have:

Gonochoric
Canciformis
Aussie Green
Common longiadatus, but they are long lived

I also have two species of artemia, three fairy shrimp, and a couple clam shrimp (but they all die)
Just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby.

Adrian
Larva
I have:
Triops longicaudatus
Triops longicaudatus "Black Beauty"
Triops cancriformis cancriformis
Triops australiensis (Queensland) -> Silver
Triops australiensis australiensis -> Green
Triops granarius

I want:
everything :redface:

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Would you be interested in selling some silvers?
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp

Adrian
Larva
Hehe, the problem is that I still have only the eggs I bought. I'm planning to let them hatch in near future, and when they are laying eggs, I can contact you again.

Funny, the Silvers are the most popular Aussie-species in Germany - and here they are very rare ^^

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Yeah, species availability is very area-influenced. I'd like to be able to make it possible for anyone to get any species they want - not necessarily ordinary or cheap, but at least possible for anyone in any given area.

Posted Image

zaky9
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
i just got my cancriformis eggs today :hyper:
i want:
1 aussies
2 maybe some lepuridus species
3 black beauties
4 (this doesnt really count) clam shrimp

..Abundance..
Member Avatar
Triops Longicaudatus
I have:
Triops Longicaudatus (Currently raising)
Triops Cancriformis (regular) Dormant in sand
Triops Cancriformis (Albino) Still in mail
Triops sp. (Dont know what that is) Still in mail
And other Vernal Pool inhabitants i.e clam shrimp, fairyshrimp e.t.c

What I want:
Australiensis
Black Beauty
T. granarius

If there is another apocalypse and mass extinction, I have no doubt in my mind that my triops will live, and populate the post apocalyptic earth....and then..... They EVOLVE

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
Hi all, and especially hi to Abundance, I just left you a message in the meet & greet, and just noticed you were the last message before mine in this thread, and I have all 3 that you want:) We're both in Canada so that makes it easy to trade. Anyone else from Canada around? Haven't been able to check out all the messages or members yet :)

I currently have a small amound of Black (i thought they were cancriformis but i see now they are longicaudatus... i guess that explains some things) and some regular Mottled cancriforis eggs available to trade, having been successful in at least one raising (others didn't go so well, but I was able to hatch my own eggs, that's my criteria for offering them for trade.).

Working now on more black longs, granarius (very likely I will have lots of eggs soon) (my avatar is the parents), and newberryi dark (if they last the next week or so chances will be high of eggs being available soon there too).

I'm going to start more today, not sure yet which but i think i have 3 kinds of aussies: green, silver, and brown ones (at least that's what the pics looked like, i'll know better if i can raise them), light newberryi, albino cancriformis (last hatching was semi successful but haven't been able to hatch my own eggs yet, might not be any), blue simplex (these haven't hatched for me at all yet), and another kind of cancriformis, they seemed extra light last time i tried them but didn't get any to maturity. Same with various longicaudatus, don't know if they are all the same or not, came from different suppliers. Also going to give Lepidurus apus apus a go, as well as packardi. Haven't tried any of the Lepidurus, can't say if they are for real as yet.

Want List: everything I don't have :) and even if i do have it, very interested in samples with known origins. even small variations interest me. I have at least 2 examples of each Triops species so far but have still seen colour variations out there I haven't seen first hand, and would love to fill in all the Lepidurus species. Also interested in all kinds of fairy shrimp, clam shrimp, seed shrimp, daphnia, etc. (I have examples of most of these as well but none on a large scale so don't have any to trade yet).

I can be more specific once I've seen everything I've collected so far! Definitely looking for albino longicaudatus, Lepidurus lynchi among others, and gigas fairy shrimp (the ones that grow to 10cm or more - gotta see that).

I'll be sure to update my sig any time I have more eggs available :)
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

Kannachan13
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
The gigas are teh carnivorous fairy shrimp, yes? You can buy them directly from arizonafairyshrimp... but they're not cheap.

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
arizonafairyshrimp.com only sells to the U.S.

Posted Image

Kannachan13
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
There's probably a way around that if you know anyone in the US. =/

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
If you use ebay I believe that arizonafairyshrimp sells there using the screen/shop name eeandss . They usualy do not post gigas or bevertail fairy shrimp through ebay but the rest of there line seems to be represented there.

Kannachan13
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
v369
Dec 23 2010, 09:58 AM
If you use ebay I believe that arizonafairyshrimp sells there using the screen/shop name eeandss . They usualy do not post gigas or bevertail fairy shrimp through ebay but the rest of there line seems to be represented there.

AH yes, I've bought from them. Try sending them a message through ebay.

MONARCHD
Member Avatar
It's like finding a needle in a stack of needles
I have longicaudatus. I'm working on my second gen. of cancriformis. For xmas today I got gonochoric and albino canc. :D

I. want. them. ALL!!!!! :redface:
T. longicaudatus green/ T. longicaudatus marbled/ T. longicaudatus black beauty/ T. longicaudatus gonochoric/ T. cancriformis/ T. albino cancriformis/ T. granarius/ L. cryptus/ T. mauritanicus

TCans
Member Avatar
T cancriformis
I just have t cancriformis marbled. I also want albino triops cancriformis.
You will trust him because you think you are him.

If You Change The Rules On What Controls You,
You Will Change The Rules On What You Can Control.

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
v369
Dec 23 2010, 08:58 AM

eeandss doesn't appear to have sold anything for awhile, not even completed listings come up, and nothing for sale rght now. I left a message though, will let you know how it goes.

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
aha. I can see 3 listings if i change my ebay.ca to ebay.com. I'm guessing that means they won't sell to Canada but I'll try asking just to confirm.

wow. well, I went to one of the items, and it wouldn't even display the page. "page not found". when i ignored that and asked the seller a question it said "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing." I'm going to take that to mean the answer is no...

anyone have any of their products they could trade with me? I'll have lots more to trade soon.

Posted Image

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
wow, sorry that did not work out for you.
best of luck

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
MONARCHD
Dec 26 2010, 01:50 AM
I. want. them. ALL!!!!! :redface:

Me too! Completely addicted! :wub:

I may have mentioned what I have already but I'm going to do a semi inventory to see what I want to hatch out next.

Completed lifecycles:
Mottled cancriformis - testing the sand & trying to get more
Black longicaudatus - testing the sand & some have hatched
Light male Dark female granarius - testing the sand & trying to get more

Dark newberryi - currently laying and some may have hatched already
Mottled beige longicaudatus - currently laying and some may have hatched already

Albino cancriformis - some spontaneously hatched but still need to test my own sand again as the container has both sets of eggs in it, mine & original, don't know which hatched.

Hatched, but did not make it to maturity:

Silver aussies - 2 origins thereof currently hatched & growing :)
Green aussies
Light newberryi
'Triops' commercial brand Longicaudatus
? Longicaudatus from United States (unknown if different)

Have not been able to hatch any yet:

25% Blue cancriformis simplex
Gonochoric longicaudatus

Have not tried yet:

? Longicaudatus from Thailand
? Longicaudatus from Germany
Lepidurus apus apus
Lepidurus packardi
various other of ones already mentioned that came from a different supplier so could be different, don't know yet.

So I guess some of those are next, especially the longicaudatus. maybe some of the non mature ones too, so I can see them in their full colours. then I should know what I want to purchase, since right now I don't know whether I might already have some of the kinds for sale, have to see them first.

I'm actually wondering though whether I have some of these correctly identified, especially the newberryi & longicaudatus. On the german website it says the newberryi is less wide than longicaudatus, but I associate newberryi with a round carapace and squinty eyes. the longicaudatus I associate with a teardrop shape and big eyes. would others agree or disagree with this assessment? Also the newberryi is quite a bit larger than the longicauditus if I am correct? But I see pictures of what looks like my newberryi but it says it is longicaudatus, so I'm confused. The black ones were smaller and had a teardrop shape & big eyes too. I guess hatching out more longicaudatus should answer some questions so I'll go do that!

Posted Image

MONARCHD
Member Avatar
hahahaha wow! Ducky u double my colection! But I will be working on that ;) lol My longicaudatus are a mix, 3/4 are marbled, 1/4 is pure green. My males have been pure green with brown on the edges. I had one marbled canc. I haven't had a chance to try to hatch her eggs yet though. My albino canc. I just got off ebay, are exploding. I have 30 little ones, but keeping them alive will be the hard part :/ I will hatch my gono. eggs once I have finished these.
(In the middle of planning a ton of multi-day hiking trips, to get multiple lepidurus in my area.) I am soooo excited for this but the dang snow will not go away till mid May :(
T. longicaudatus green/ T. longicaudatus marbled/ T. longicaudatus black beauty/ T. longicaudatus gonochoric/ T. cancriformis/ T. albino cancriformis/ T. granarius/ L. cryptus/ T. mauritanicus

TCans
Member Avatar
T cancriformis
Where can i get Blue cancriformis simplex ????

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
MONARCHD
Dec 28 2010, 01:04 AM
My longicaudatus are a mix, 3/4 are marbled, 1/4 is pure green. My males have been pure green with brown on the edges. I had one marbled canc. I haven't had a chance to try to hatch her eggs yet though. My albino canc. I just got off ebay, are exploding. I have 30 little ones, but keeping them alive will be the hard part :/ I will hatch my gono. eggs once I have finished these.
(In the middle of planning a ton of multi-day hiking trips, to get multiple lepidurus in my area.) I am soooo excited for this but the dang snow will not go away till mid May :(

I hear you about the snow! Your hiking trip sounds great, especially if you end up with multiple species! I might check out a place near Lake Simcoe this summer, or ask some family that lives closer to that part of Ontario to look, as I found a map that says Triops were once found there. My guess would be though that they were deposited there by someone, it would seem strange that this would be the only occurrence in the whole province. Maybe the others just haven't been found or they haven't been noticed by anyone who knew what they were looking at.

I foresee a future trade :) your 1/4 green ones interest me for the genetics of it, sounds like it might be possible to develop pure strains. none of my longs have been green yet, although i have 3 more to grow to adulthood before i know for sure. I'm going to try hatching them this week. Pretty sure I'll be interested in any Lepidurus you might find too! What are the species you will be seeking?

I had the same prolific hatching as you with the abinos, that was neat, i have one right now that I should move to cleaner quarters. Definitely watch out for overcrowding, I had major losses but I wasn't very skilled in taking care of them (still not well skilled but doing a bit better now) They are certainly interestingl, and I hear they grow very large. Good luck with them!

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
TCans
Dec 28 2010, 10:54 AM
Where can i get Blue cancriformis simplex ????

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...4TblE8gLVsfbJ_Q

At the bottom of the page.
But, I have to add a few caveats:

1. I didn't deal with the website, but through Ebay.
2. The website is in german
3. The translator doesn't work very well.
4. I bought about 6 kinds from him through Ebay, only 3 types of sand have hatched so far, and i've tried them all several times. Also when they do hatch, its usually weeks after I gave up on anything hatching. Maybe it is drier than usual and takes more hydrating?
5. The 1/4 blue (I believe the 3/4 colour is black?) cancriformis simplex sand I bought seems to be defective. I've tried it five times, a bit each time, and only have enough to try it once more. same result every time. The other eggs are still around in my dumps but I don't hold out too much hope as they all seemed to get fuzzy after the second day. never happened with any other sand i've tried. Will try the last bit soon.
6. Another supplier has left warnings that this german supplier sells fake eggs and that you will always get longicaudatus from him. I've gotten at least 2 kinds.
7. he had 3 ebay identities, i dealt with 2, and none of them are currently in use for selling as far as i can tell, but i think it's because he set up the website. the latest one has been discontinued and none have 100% feedback although they are all in the 90+% range. wildratt87 urzeit2008 wwwtriopsshopcom - other people have complained though. I received all my packages, as to what's in them, still figuring that out. He also did give me a free bag of sand (aussies) at one point just for being a good customer but nothing has hatched from it yet.
8. One kind I received was called newberryi dark on the package. I ended up with 2 different kinds, but neither look like the photo on his website, which is kind of mottled yellowish with pink legs, mine are beige/brown including the legs (longicaudatus i think) and grey/green with pink legs (newberryi i think, only because the one in the newberryi light package looked just like it but more transparent. but it looks exactly like http://www.vulcano.demon.nl/triops/ which was supposed to be a Triassic Triops, which I thought was supposed to be longicaudatus. They said it was bigger than all their other triops so maybe that's where this sand came from, seems to have both species in their case and in mine. Neither of the ones i got seem to be in his pictures at all. so i'm confused. The brown one does look like the pictures on the Triassic Triops package which I also happen to have, about to try hatching again to see if they are the same as these longs. I can show photos.
9. When I tried to put the first set of longicaudatus in the list on the website into a shopping cart, I think it said "not available" (it didn't translate). It could mean that despite all the pretty pictures that they might not be available. Not sure though.
10. I plan to make a purchase from him soon regardless since I want to contact him anyway. The items I'm interested I can't get anywhere else that I know of so I'm willing to take a chance. You might want to wait to find out what happens with my transaction. I also heard shipping rates are high. I'll be asking for some "warranty service" on the ones that didn't give me any hatchlings.
11. I just started my last little bit of sand for the blues so will let you know what happens.
12. I'm curious if anyone has actually seen these blue ones, there wasn't even a picture when I bought them on Ebay, but there is on the website, would be nice to see in real life!

so...I guess I'm saying buyer beware...just too much stuff going on.

Posted Image

MONARCHD
Member Avatar
Ducky
Dec 29 2010, 12:00 AM
I hear you about the snow! Your hiking trip sounds great, especially if you end up with multiple species! I might check out a place near Lake Simcoe this summer, or ask some family that lives closer to that part of Ontario to look, as I found a map that says Triops were once found there. My guess would be though that they were deposited there by someone, it would seem strange that this would be the only occurrence in the whole province. Maybe the others just haven't been found or they haven't been noticed by anyone who knew what they were looking at.

I foresee a future trade :) your 1/4 green ones interest me for the genetics of it, sounds like it might be possible to develop pure strains. none of my longs have been green yet, although i have 3 more to grow to adulthood before i know for sure. I'm going to try hatching them this week. Pretty sure I'll be interested in any Lepidurus you might find too! What are the species you will be seeking?

I had the same prolific hatching as you with the abinos, that was neat, i have one right now that I should move to cleaner quarters. Definitely watch out for overcrowding, I had major losses but I wasn't very skilled in taking care of them (still not well skilled but doing a bit better now) They are certainly interestingl, and I hear they grow very large. Good luck with them!

A trade sounds great. I'm looking for bilobatus and couesii. If I run into others I'll grab them too but I know that bilo and couesii are in the area. It's like finding a needle in a hay satck, but i'm going to give it a try.

The albino bunch is over crowded but they are too young right now to do anything. I'll fill the hatching tank up all the way once I feel they are big enough to survive it. :D

TCans
Member Avatar
T cancriformis
Thanks for all the info ducky. I think i will wait to see if you have any luck with the blue simplex before i buy. The guy sounds a bit dodgy but i will probley buy some blue simplex because i really really want these, i am only growing cancriformis types and have the brown marbled ones, also i have albino cans on the way.

I will cheak out the site now, i don't think i have seen him on ebay before. I deff havn't seen the blue t cancriformis on ebay.

TCans
Member Avatar
T cancriformis
His site got all them types, but it makes me think where can they get them all from? people on this forum are WELL INTO triops and these germans have everything, it seems strage that some of the types are so hard to find anywere else but they have them all. <_< im not sure. I would order the simplex right now if it were a english language site.

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
MONARCHD
Dec 29 2010, 02:18 PM
A trade sounds great. I'm looking for bilobatus and couesii. If I run into others I'll grab them too but I know that bilo and couesii are in the area. It's like finding a needle in a hay satck, but i'm going to give it a try.

The albino bunch is over crowded but they are too young right now to do anything. I'll fill the hatching tank up all the way once I feel they are big enough to survive it. :D

Excellent! I don't have either of those species yet. Come on May!!! :) I'll see if I can figure out how to PM you about a trade for your longs.

Those albinos are so easy to hatch, I keep getting more and more hatching in my dump water, I just can't toss it because there's always someone in there! :theyhatched: But ever since the first batch I can't seem to get them to grow out. Wish me luck with the 2 or 3 new ones I have today!

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
TCans
Dec 29 2010, 03:12 PM
His site got all them types, but it makes me think where can they get them all from? people on this forum are WELL INTO triops and these germans have everything, it seems strage that some of the types are so hard to find anywere else but they have them all. <_< im not sure. I would order the simplex right now if it were a english language site.

Another thing I have trouble with on the german site, is that they show 2 types of albino cancriformis. I recall the photo of the "redfire" is the one used on Ebay by dadasis, which I read was taken by someone else, but that's what mine looked like at the 2 week stage too. but the other pic also looks like his own photo from a forum somewhere that he posted when they grew large. I don't recall hearing they were two actual different types other than some can be less red than others. You'd think you'd see that reflected on Ebay by offering the two types.

somebody did mention they bought the blue cans and yellow longs from germany and they appeared to have been successful with them???

But I do think there are lots of types out there... they're calling me... :drool:

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
TCans
Dec 29 2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all the info ducky. I think i will wait to see if you have any luck with the blue simplex before i buy. The guy sounds a bit dodgy but i will probley buy some blue simplex because i really really want these, i am only growing cancriformis types and have the brown marbled ones, also i have albino cans on the way.

I will cheak out the site now, i don't think i have seen him on ebay before. I deff havn't seen the blue t cancriformis on ebay.

Glad to be of help!

I will try to find pics of my mottled can, I got it from a different German Ebay supplier than the one with the website. I am not sure if the ones from dadasis are the same, they seemed a lot lighter when I hatched them but I lost them early so don't know for sure. The one I had was very dark black with beige/brown, no green.

Looked for pics but the one i have doesn't show much :(

Posted Image

TCans
Member Avatar
T cancriformis
Yeah mine are dark brown/black from Don, they have a nice pattern. Just a quick question: Some of my triops today are acting like there dying from old age, (laying on back, swimming slower, strange swimming, less active) They are over 40 days old and there all 1 inch - 1.5 inch long LOL have i bred some type of dwaft triops cancriformis?
Im not expert so i don't know whats the cause for them been so small. There mini full growen t cans :rofl2:

Also i just spent over a hour looking for other sellers of triops cancriformis simplex and there seems to be nobody at all anywere. :cry:

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
Ok I have photos of 2 of my recent Triops adults.

The longicaudatus I still have:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7564...fb&id=670424047

The newberryi dark I just lost: (taken the day before she died - i got lucky taking them when I did because the other one ate half of her after she died.)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7564...88&id=670424047
and another view
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7564...56&id=670424047

These were the two that originated from the same sand.

Uness that's not what they are? Identification comments most welcome!

Posted Image

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
Those picks are amazing !!! wicked clear.
I like the mottled shell of the first and the silver coloring in the second one is beautiful!

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
v369
Dec 29 2010, 07:12 PM
Those picks are amazing !!! wicked clear.
I like the mottled shell of the first and the silver coloring in the second one is beautiful!

Thanks! Would you agree wth my identification? I'm confused because I see a lot of pics that look like them, but they are never the species I think they are. The silver green looks a lot like australiensis, now that I see these photos:

http://www.man.poznan.pl/~dominito/triops/triops.html

They say on triopsguys.com that newberryi is "elongated" which doesn't go along with the "circular" carapace i've noticed on these. They say it is brown, which doesn't go with the green. The photos I've seen of newberryi are pink though. I have an australiensis queensland growing now, and it is not the same, the carapace is much more elongated that the one in the pics and the colour is much softer and lighter at this stage (week 1), the one in the picture went through a bunch of colour changes before getting to that final colour. At first I thought it would stay pink with grey, similar to this ebay pic. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Triops-Newberryi-eggs-s...=item1c17f8cf13 So I'm leaning towards correct I.D.

I'm relatively certain I have the longicaudatus right, from pics I found on that same website, colour is even similar. My cancriformis also looked similar to the ones on this site.

Posted Image

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
There can be so much diffrence in patterning between geographicaly seperate populations of the same species that it is somtimes hard to tell by coloration alone. There is also much debate in the scientific comunity about the number of species partly due to the fact that even though they are an anchient creature they have not had the ''spot light'' untlil realitavly recently. Have read a few of articles that lump newberryi in with t.long.

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
and i see what you mean about looking like those aussie pics.

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
:blink:

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
TCans
Dec 29 2010, 06:08 PM
Yeah mine are dark brown/black from Don, they have a nice pattern. Just a quick question: Some of my triops today are acting like there dying from old age, (laying on back, swimming slower, strange swimming, less active) They are over 40 days old and there all 1 inch - 1.5 inch long LOL have i bred some type of dwaft triops cancriformis?
Im not expert so i don't know whats the cause for them been so small. There mini full growen t cans :rofl2:

Also i just spent over a hour looking for other sellers of triops cancriformis simplex and there seems to be nobody at all anywere. :cry:

It's probably overcrowding. I think Triops are like fish, and that the largest animal will give off the most hormone and that causes the others not to grow any larger, I guess so as not to waste energy/food trying to compete with the big guy. Or, if they are the same size, they all remain small. to maximize their chances of survival.

For example I have some cichlids that I kept in an overcrowded tank that are over a year old yet some are no larger than an inch, yet their siblings in a less crowded tank are four inches long.

Overcrowding can also affect water quality, had it happen myself. I'm used to one or two, but with the albino cans I had about 30 at one point, and did not use 30 containers... Also if oxygen levels are low that can affect size too.

I saw somewhere on this board someone mentioned they got the blue cans & the yellow longs from the german supplier but i don't know if that meant they hatched them or not. if they did, maybe that is a source. no action on mine yet.

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
v369
Dec 30 2010, 09:58 AM
There can be so much diffrence in patterning between geographicaly seperate populations of the same species that it is somtimes hard to tell by coloration alone. There is also much debate in the scientific comunity about the number of species partly due to the fact that even though they are an anchient creature they have not had the ''spot light'' untlil realitavly recently. Have read a few of articles that lump newberryi in with t.long.

Definitely not been a spotlight, I can't believe I never heard of them before last year. That's why I find this such a fascinating hobby, you can't just look stuff up, you have to delve into it and compare yourself....unfortunately I haven't seen enough yet to be sure of what i'm looking at, but i'm feeling more confident. I still think that if those with the circular carapace are newberryis, then they do not belong in the same category as longicaudatus, they look completely different. I say that because my australiensis is not looking like that at all. But then again, maybe it's not an australiensis! I guess we'll see. Could also be hybrids?

But the colouration differences are cool, and I like seeing them all :)

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
v369
Dec 30 2010, 12:58 PM
:blink:

Was that about the aussie pics being similar?

It makes me think that with all the confusing info out there, that someone could have named something wrong, but everyone since takes it as fact, leading to even more confusion. For instance the numidicus/granarius association. I don't understand it. they don't look one bit alike to me. But everyone mentions it, because it's mentioned in a reference that everyone's seen. rather than simply accepting the statement, I like to step back from that and ask, why do they class it as a granarius? what are the identifying features that would make them say that? who said it? from what perspective were they saying that? (Does anyone know?)

Posted Image

zaky9
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
i think that they say numidicus is a form of granarius because they live either in the same pools or in pools that are close to each other. :?

TCans
Member Avatar
T cancriformis
Ducky
Dec 31 2010, 01:56 AM
v369
Dec 30 2010, 09:58 AM
There can be so much diffrence in patterning between geographicaly  seperate populations of the same species that it is somtimes hard to tell by coloration alone. There is also much debate in the scientific comunity about the number of species partly due to the fact that even though they are an anchient creature they have not had the ''spot light'' untlil realitavly recently. Have read a few of articles that lump newberryi in with t.long.

Definitely not been a spotlight, I can't believe I never heard of them before last year. That's why I find this such a fascinating hobby, you can't just look stuff up, you have to delve into it and compare yourself....unfortunately I haven't seen enough yet to be sure of what i'm looking at, but i'm feeling more confident. I still think that if those with the circular carapace are newberryis, then they do not belong in the same category as longicaudatus, they look completely different. I say that because my australiensis is not looking like that at all. But then again, maybe it's not an australiensis! I guess we'll see. Could also be hybrids?

But the colouration differences are cool, and I like seeing them all :)

You will probley be a expert in a few years if you stick to it. Not like me i could read loads and still not take in as much. Also with the Id of the triops some sellers won't know 100% and some just lie to make more money which dosn't help us at all. :thumbup:

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
TCans
Dec 31 2010, 08:52 AM
You will probley be a expert in a few years if you stick to it. Not like me i could read loads and still not take in as much. Also with the Id of the triops some sellers won't know 100% and some just lie to make more money which dosn't help us at all. :thumbup:

I do plan to stick with it :) Having too much fun. Actually I was even thinking of getting into the scientific papers about Triops to consolodate the useful info and/or support or refute any hypotheses. Could also be a way to figure out locations of certain varieties, have come across a few that mention the collection sites.

Posted Image

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
Dont worry about my aussie comment it was off I found some more sientific aussie pics and I was definatly wrong. I think that many of the prior pics I have looked at of aussies were actualy longacatus labled aussies. im going to get some aussie cysts to start myself in the spring. (want to try some lepedirus species first)
The pics don daisis has up of his aussies are aussies.

A lot of the scientific seperation of invert species are broken down often to things you need a microscope to see(smaller mouth parts,sexorgans,ect.). and can be confusing as many of the outward apperances are almost identicle.

As for hybrids... possible theoreticaly but highly unlikely.
you would need to have first a male and female triop in the same stage of life in teh same place of 2 seperate species.
second well you would have to have an intrested female...most triop females are hemaprodites and self fertalize.
would most likly need both indivduals to also originate from a genocromic population
I'd like to try this somtime when I have more space and ambition.

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
zaky9
Dec 31 2010, 08:47 AM
i think that they say numidicus is a form of granarius because they live either in the same pools or in pools that are close to each other. :?

That's not a good enough reason for me, that's like saying i found these two different fish in the same pond so they must be the same species. I mean, birds eat the Triops and the eggs can travel for miles before ending up in another pond, one that could already contain other Triops. Being in the same pond doesn't mean they had the same origins genetically. Too bad can't check it out. What about the Ukrainian video? Anyone been able to get any of those?

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
v369
Dec 31 2010, 09:15 AM
Dont worry about my aussie comment it was off I found some more sientific aussie pics and I was definatly wrong. I think that many of the prior pics I have looked at of aussies were actualy longacatus labled aussies. im going to get some aussie cysts to start myself in the spring. (want to try some lepedirus species first)
The pics don daisis has up of his aussies are aussies.

A lot of the scientific seperation of invert species are broken down often to things you need a microscope to see(smaller mouth parts,sexorgans,ect.). and can be confusing as many of the outward apperances are almost identicle.

As for hybrids... possible theoreticaly but highly unlikely.
you would need to have first a male and female triop in the same stage of life in teh same place of 2 seperate species.
second well you would have to have an intrested female...most triop females are hemaprodites and self fertalize.
would most likly need both indivduals to also originate from a genocromic population
I'd like to try this somtime when I have more space and ambition.

I have what is supposed to be, and does look like so far, an aussie developing right now. As soon as she is big enough I'll compare pics. But first impressions are, she is nowhere near round in the carapace, it's pretty oval. And the round one did have eggs so I don't think it was a male or anything.

I think I will invest in a microscope. I also need to improve my camera skills, it takes hundreds of shots to get one clear one...and it's still really not very clear, I couldn't count the abdomen segments or anything. i should set up a tripod, etc. I might even try to take 3d shots. Oooh I could try HDR if they would stay still :)

I thought maybe it could be a hybrid resulting from the supplier's experiments? But if I put more than one species into a container, I'd be sure to mention that! It sure has been confusing finding two types, and at this point I'm not sure either one is the newberryi it's supposed to be. And if it's not the green one, then my other newberryi sand makes no sense either because it was another green circular one. i should try hatching another one of those...

Is there any chance my brown one is a gonochoric longicaudatus? Here's the link again:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7564...fb&id=670424047

I only say that because I rehydrated that container, but it made me confused because it looked a lot like the container the brown one was in when it was little...maybe i put it in the place the newberryi one was and thought that was it, and maybe there wasn't two kinds in one sand at all, but just me mixing up my containers. Does seem plausable. I have one hatched right now, should be interesting to see if that one is the same. But there is only one... I guess that's no good for laying eggs or are they hermaphroditic too?

The cross breeding idea does sound interesting. I must say it was cute having more than one species together in the tank, they got along well, better in fact than most of my same species pairs and there was even a size differential. At some point I'd like to have a tank going of all different types and colours. Call it rainbow sand :)

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
LilGreenPuffer
Oct 4 2010, 01:20 PM
I have:
(ETA: T. numidicus, which isn't really a species and is actually a strain of T. granarius

I saw a photo of a granarius yestereday that made me fully understand why people say the numidicus is a variety thereof. Looked exaactly like that big green numidicus photo. But my granarius look nothing like that! Not one single bit! That why I was having so much trouble with the idea.

Here is the numidicus:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bertreiheld/4899092443/

Here is the photo I saw that made e understand:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64836419@N00/...in/photostream/

which looks similar to these:

http://mytriops.com/articles/images/triops_granarius.jpg

but doesn't look at all like these, which are like mine:

http://drupal.ru/files/Triops_granarius_female.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/dadasis/100_0030.jp

Sooooo...I'm looking for eggs of the other kind of granarius, and does anyone know where either kind originate? Are they truly granarius or something else again? My female was almost black, totally opposite from the preserved pair in the second link above.

Oh and just for funsies, I want one of these: So pretty! (I don't think it's a cancriformis though)

http://www2.macleans.ca/tag/triops-cancriformis/

Posted Image

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Dr. Michael Korn says that T. numidicus definitely does not exist.

Posted Image

Ducky
Member Avatar
Triops breeder
LilGreenPuffer
Jan 2 2011, 08:21 PM
Dr. Michael Korn says that T. numidicus definitely does not exist.

I read your mention of Dr. Korn in a previous message so started to look for his papers. But where does he say that? Because in http://www.triops.es/articulos/paper17.pdf they talk about some of the 19 synonyms for Triops granarius, and going with Triops granarius over Apus granarius or Triops numidicus due to priority of description, after having done the opposite in a previous paper due to since having learned the date of one of the verbal descriptions and its precedence over the other. But they also say later in the paper that Triops granarius is made up of at least 3 cryptic species, and likely more. To me it doesn't matter whether a name has been deemed synonymous or obsolete, I'm just trying to describe a type/colour/variant of Triops for which there doesn't otherwise seem to be an official or agreed upon name. Glad to see they are doing DNA sequencing to get this all sorted out.

Posted Image

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Lemme get back to you on that.

Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Exotic Species of Triops · Next Topic »
Add Reply