Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free. Just make sure you make a post in the New Member section after you register or your account may not be approved.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Open suggestions thread - foods; What do you recommend for triops?
Topic Started: Apr 12 2010, 11:17 PM (8,371 Views)
LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
What have you found makes a great triops food? Give your suggestion here. Please skip the obvious ones, like "flakes or pellets," and only post if it's specific (like a brand name) or unusual (like, oh, spaghetti, or something off-the-wall like that).

In my (admittedly limited, as of now) experience, Hikari Shrimp Cuisine is my triops' top favorite food.
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
(* = successfully hatched and raised to adulthood)
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp
For sale: nothing ATM
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eden Marel
Triops Longicaudatus
Regarding this: http://mytriops.com/articles/preparing_eggs_detritus.stm

Yea I tried the cocobark stuff, and tried some dead plants from around a pond, didn't quite worked. Guess I gotta find other plant matters, I think the pond was polluted or sprayed.

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
I'm going to try some detritus recipes this summer. I'll report back.

I was discussing egg prices with dadasis via e-mail, and I asked if he had any good recipes. He doesn't, poo, but he did say that he mostly feeds his triops blanched carrots and live earthworms. He also sometimes uses rabbit food - compressed alfalfa pellets. Random...
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

Posted Image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp

Eden Marel
Triops Longicaudatus
Well I know the rabit food is also used by people to make infusoria!

Asha
Larva
Just a quick question. How can you use egg yolk as detruis? Does it have to be boiled etc.

I'm also thinking that seeds may work if you mash them up a bit.. Don't quote me on it though

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
I don't think seeds would work. What kind of seeds, anyway? The thing is, they're filter-feeders for the first three days of life. They need tiny, tiny food particles, either a liquid or a very fine powder. You would use the yolk raw, since it's liquid.

Posted Image

Asha
Larva
Ahh I see. Sesame seeds I was thinking about, but if you dont think that'll work then :/

Eden Marel
Triops Longicaudatus
I boil the egg til cooked, then eat the egg white, then eat some of the egg yolk. I take the rest of the egg yolk and mix it with distilled water to make a paste consistancy.

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
I thought that dissolving liquid into the water would work like fry food. (Fry food... Might try getting a bottle of that to ensure food density and 'cause it's less messy than eggs... Hmmm.) Oh, egg yolk raw vs. cooked - new experiment idea! I know that cooking meat changes the cellular structure and makes it hard for fish to digest. Huh.

Posted Image

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
Has anyone else tried dadasis' triops food?

Posted Image

MONARCHD
Member Avatar
It's like finding a needle in a stack of needles
what i have been feeding my T Long. is... ummm... justa sec i'll go grab it so i know i'm spelling it right! hikari tropical algae wafers (they love these), wardley floating reptile sticks (they sink after about 5 min. these r amazing. if life had background music the jaws theme would be playing as i through these in the tank! :rofl1: ), wardley turtle delight (dried whole shrimp. they float and it is hard for the triops to find it. but when they do they like it. i wouldn't buy this again though. they float for a few days before sinking). my triops have aquired a strange tast for zucchini...
T. longicaudatus green/ T. longicaudatus marbled/ T. longicaudatus black beauty/ T. longicaudatus gonochoric/ T. cancriformis/ T. albino cancriformis/ T. granarius/ L. cryptus/ T. mauritanicus

triops master
Member Avatar
Triops Cancriformis
Mine love extra flight fruit flies (dart frogs).

zaky9
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
i used duckweed when i had triops a few years back

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
So, I've come to a conclusion: Ken's food is the shiznit. It comes in big packages for a REALLY low price, and they're all high-quality formulas. When it comes to triops, a simple food and lots of it is important - they eat a lot, but they aren't picky, so a convenient food is useful, and cheap is good. Earthworm sticks/flakes and other high-protein foods are good for egg production. kensfish.com is one of my favorite sites. Customer service is impeccable, and prices are good.

Posted Image

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
i know this is an old thread but i use chopped nori( yes the sheets of dried sea algae that is sold for making maki rolls) ocasionaly as a treat/ supplement to add minerals and iodine i have used it for my rcs as well and it seems to also enhance their color.

LilGreenPuffer
Member Avatar
Okay, my idea.
This is a pinned topic and is always open for new contributions. :)

I've fed nori to my oto cats and shrimp before. It's good stuff.

Posted Image

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
i also use the whole freezedried cyclop-eeze they seem to like it as much, if not more than my fish fry do.
is an easy really high protien food good for color and growth.
the relly tiny size(almost powder) is great for any size/stage. i soak a small amount in a lil tank water for 15 min and just pour it in.

triops master
Member Avatar
Triops Cancriformis
v369
Nov 19 2010, 05:42 PM
i also use the whole freezedried cyclop-eeze they seem to like it as much, if not more than my fish fry do.
is an easy really high protien food good for color and growth.
the relly tiny size(almost powder) is great for any size/stage. i soak a small amount in a lil tank water for 15 min and just pour it in.

Great idea!

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
i had used cyclop-ezee for raising picky fish fry and shrimp over the past few years. some of the freswater species of cyclopeds are a natural prey item for triops anyway. figured was almost a natural choice.

triops44
Larva
So far all my triops are eating are slices of lunch meat. The kind you get in the grocery store, and come in the recyclable plastic tanks. I've tried Wardleys shrimp pellets but the expand too fast, casing the water to foul up

Kannachan13
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
I'd make a comment about that eventually leading to heart attack, but I don't think they live long enough for that to matter. =p
Just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby.

zaky9
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
Kannachan13
Nov 21 2010, 07:49 AM
I'd make a comment about that eventually leading to heart attack, but I don't think they live long enough for that to matter. =p

:rofl2:

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
was thinking of getting some of this to try for a food staple if i start another tank. i know a few people that swear by it for there rcs and other freshwater shrimp.

http://www.adana.co.jp/bee/food_en.html

triops master
Member Avatar
Triops Cancriformis
Kannachan13
Nov 21 2010, 05:49 AM

:rofl1:

skelly98
Member Avatar
Triops cancriformis
i buy a zoomed reptile bedding brick (coconut husk), expand it in water from a fishtank or my pond (for algae, etc), dry it out , and put it in my triops tank.. i also put some raw meat in every once in a while to give them a source of protien, and then i just maintain water quality. they grow slower like this, but its low matinence and easy.
look behind you........

skelly98
Member Avatar
Triops cancriformis
Kannachan13
Nov 21 2010, 07:49 AM

:) :lol: :rofl1: :rofl2:
look behind you........

Huub
Member Avatar
Queensland, Red fire, Cancriformis . >>Digging for eggs&l
Posted Image

I got this food with my triops set.
The only food with a triop on the front?
Seems healthy:
48% protein.
crude fat 8.5 %
crude fibre 3.5 %
crude ash 10.5 %
moisture 8 %
fish and fish derivatives, meat and animal derivatives, yeasts etc.

Multi-ingredient food in the form of small sinking granules for everyday feeding of small aquarium fish and fry. Beta-glucan, an immune stimulator, and stabilized vitamin C enhance the immune system and help combat pathogens. A wide range of carefully selected, top quality ingredients, supplemented with optimally balanced vitamins and trace elements, meets the nutritional and energy requirements of even the most demanding species of fish. The ingredient-rich formula of SUPERVIT MINI GRANULAT makes it a perfect solution for multi-species tanks with small fish.
~ Huub ~ Posted Image
1st tanklog: Longicaudatus / 2nd log: Australiensis Queensland (Silver) / 3rd log: Red Fire Kabuto Cancriformis / 4th tanklog: Newberryi + Kabuto Albino
Water-adjustments for Triops
/ My You-Tube channel with triops vids

littleshrimp
Triops Newberryi
Nice post Huub,have to try that
as for what I use for my triops right now is
http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_13.html
Its Hikari First Bites
Crude Protein min. 48%
Crude Fat min. 3%
Crude Fiber max. 1%
Moisture max. 10%
Crude Ash max. 15%
Read below to find out how to amuse an idiot.
Read above to find out how to amuse an idiot.

triops master
Member Avatar
Triops Cancriformis
Good suggestions!
Raw meat?

Sinocard
Romantic triops
Raw meat huh? I'll have to give that a shot when I get my next batch up and running. I'm sure there's some type of food out there that will allow triops to grow well beyond their natural size.

Like steroids. lol.

triops master
Member Avatar
Triops Cancriformis
Sinocard
Feb 13 2011, 07:18 PM
Raw meat huh? I'll have to give that a shot when I get my next batch up and running. I'm sure there's some type of food out there that will allow triops to grow well beyond their natural size.

Like steroids. lol.

Someone posted it... not sure if it works! So I'll test it... I'll feed it to them in 15 minutes. Hamburgers anyone? :P

Kannachan13
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
littleshrimp
Feb 13 2011, 07:20 PM
Its Hikari First Bites
Crude Protein min. 48%
Crude Fat min. 3%
Crude Fiber max. 1%
Moisture max. 10%
Crude Ash max. 15%

I was actually thinking of buying that for my fairy shrimp! How is it?

Ducky
Member Avatar
Majorly addicted & want them all! :)
we made fish food one time, used raw shrimp, raw steak, and a whole bunch of spirulina all ground & mixed together, then frozen into little cubes.

i guess that would work for Triops too.
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

triops master
Member Avatar
Triops Cancriformis
Ducky
Feb 13 2011, 09:22 PM
we made fish food one time, used raw shrimp, raw steak, and a whole bunch of spirulina all ground & mixed together, then frozen into little cubes.

ok cool.
Update:
they ate it all!

Sinocard
Romantic triops
triops master
Feb 13 2011, 11:29 PM
Ducky
Feb 13 2011, 09:22 PM

ok cool.
Update:
they ate it all!

:thumbup:

My triops are going to be spoiled little buggers.... Now that I know I can feed them steak :D

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
I've used duck hear as an ocasional treat.....

triops master
Member Avatar
Triops Cancriformis
:rofl1: I'll feed them shrimp
jk

rainman
Member Avatar
Triops cancriformis
Copper = :claresfuneral:

littleshrimp
Triops Newberryi
Kannachan13
Feb 13 2011, 10:58 PM
littleshrimp
Feb 13 2011, 07:20 PM
Its Hikari First Bites
Crude Protein min. 48% 
Crude Fat  min. 3% 
Crude Fiber max. 1%
Moisture max. 10%
Crude Ash max. 15%

I was actually thinking of buying that for my fairy shrimp! How is it?

Its pretty good.The "pellets" are actually smaller than it seems though (which is a plus for me because they are perfect for rearing).Otherwise I never tried with full grown triops and have never tried with fairy shrimp.The only con is that its a pain to get out if you don't have a tiny spoon.

Kannachan13
Member Avatar
Triops Australiensis
Huh, I thought it was a powder.

littleshrimp
Triops Newberryi
Kannachan13
Feb 14 2011, 05:57 PM
Huh, I thought it was a powder.

It is but the pic on the package makes it seem otherwise.It looks like little pellets on the cover of the package.

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
wow i cant spell that last one was suppose to say duck heart ....

littleshrimp
Triops Newberryi
v369
Feb 14 2011, 06:01 PM

lol I thought you were trying to say duck ear!(if they have any visible ears)

triops master
Member Avatar
Triops Cancriformis
littleshrimp
Feb 14 2011, 04:02 PM
v369
Feb 14 2011, 06:01 PM

lol I thought you were trying to say duck ear!(if they have any visible ears)

:rofl1:

Carnifex
Member Avatar
1 Longicaudatus
jeeze, you guys are getting fancy with the food varieties...

-duck ears :D
-steak

I think ill just stick with feeding them caviar..... its less expensive :P

just kidding of course... Ill stick with feeding them algae wafers, sinking pellets, carrots, and the occasional tubifex worms or something (since every plant I buy seems to be infested with planeria/tubifex)
Raising Triops. Sometimes the questions are hard and the answers are simple.

Ducky
Member Avatar
Majorly addicted & want them all! :)
Carnifex
Feb 18 2011, 12:44 AM
jeeze, you guys are getting fancy with the food varieties...

-duck ears :D
-steak

I think ill just stick with feeding them caviar..... its less expensive :P

just kidding of course... Ill stick with feeding them algae wafers, sinking pellets, carrots, and the occasional tubifex worms or something (since every plant I buy seems to be infested with planeria/tubifex)

i'm glad you said you were kidding, i was about to try feeding my ears to my Triops! lol
Do you have Triops that are different than those shown? Please show me!

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

v369
Member Avatar
absolutly not
na,
just happened to have some spare duck hearts from some wood ducks that i made for dinner.
and hey van gho gave his ear to his love so you not that off :}

Carnifex
Member Avatar
1 Longicaudatus
Ducky: its highly reccomended to keep your ears to yourself and not feed them to any invertabrates, as they pose health risks to you and your Triops :D

You know whats odd? I dont even see my triops eat anything! I put a piece of preboiled carrot in the tank, she didnt touch it, I put an algae wafer in there, she doesnt touch it, I put a sinking pellet in there, she doesnt touch it!

What I do see her doing is rummaging around in the sand alot, thats basically all she does.
She kinda kicks up the sand underneath her and then goes in a line- making patterns in the sand- its very cool! (Ill try posting a pic on my log when I get the camera to cooperate)

MY hypothesis is that she is kicking up the sand with all her legs underneath her and then just basically sucking up any leftover foods or whatever. Maybe she is filterfeeding.

I still find it weird that she hasnt touched any of the foods I supplied her with, and even with such variety! :P

(its not something Im worrying about, since she is still alive and happy, its just more of a mystery :o)

Raising Triops. Sometimes the questions are hard and the answers are simple.

littleshrimp
Triops Newberryi
Carnifex
Feb 19 2011, 01:28 PM
Ducky: its highly reccomended to keep your ears to yourself and not feed them to any invertabrates, as they pose health risks to you and your Triops :D

You know whats odd? I dont even see my triops eat anything! I put a piece of preboiled carrot in the tank, she didnt touch it, I put an algae wafer in there, she doesnt touch it, I put a sinking pellet in there, she doesnt touch it!

What I do see her doing is rummaging around in the sand alot, thats basically all she does.
She kinda kicks up the sand underneath her and then goes in a line- making patterns in the sand- its very cool! (Ill try posting a pic on my log when I get the camera to cooperate)

MY hypothesis is that she is kicking up the sand with all her legs underneath her and then just basically sucking up any leftover foods or whatever. Maybe she is filterfeeding.

I still find it weird that she hasnt touched any of the foods I supplied her with, and even with such variety! :P

(its not something Im worrying about, since she is still alive and happy, its just more of a mystery :o)

my triops do the exact same thing.luckily though my snails will eat if the triops ignores food

triops master
Member Avatar
Triops Cancriformis
v369
Feb 18 2011, 07:08 AM
na,
just happened to have some spare duck hearts from some wood ducks that i made for dinner.
and hey van gho gave his ear to his love so you not that off :}

:rofl1: You guys crack me up.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Food and Recipes · Next Topic »
Add Reply