This skin was created by cortez of the IF Skin Zone

InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Triops Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
After you have completed the registration page, go to the new user forum and post your requested username and let us know you'd like to join. After you post, an admin member will validate your membership and you will have full access to the forums. Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

What Kind of Water Should I Use?
LilGreenPuffer
Posted: Jul 22 2011, 08:51 PM

I swear it wasn't my idea.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

We get a lot of questions about what kind of water you should use for your triops - both for the hatching period and after. This article will hopefully help you figure out what will work best for you, and help you understand why it will work best.

Part 1: Hatching Water

For the hatching process, the water you use needs to meet two qualifications - it should have little or no mineral content, and it needs to be free of harmful chemicals, such as chlorine, chloramine, and pollutants.

I'm not entirely clear on why triops hatch better in water with little to no mineral content. This article from MyTriops.com talks about pH levels and T. canciformis hatching success, so you may find it relevant, but keep in mind that it only covers one species and discusses pH rather than hardness. pH is related to hardness, but it's not the same thing. I'm going to try and find out a bit more about this topic and will definitely update this article if I do.

Whatever water you use must be free of harmful chemicals. If it contains chlorine or chloramine, you can use aquarium water conditioner to remove them. Avoid water that could contain acid rain; oil or anitfreeze dripped from cars; runoff from non-organic gardens, agricultural zones, or landfills; or pesticides from publicly-maintained areas. This is just the short list; use your judgement and consider where your water has been.

Part 2: Adulthood Water

When your triops are ready to move out of their hatching container, you'll need to acclimate them to water that does have some mineral content. Certain types of mineral content stabilize pH (stable pH is important to the health of most aquatic animals), and some types of minerals will help strengthen your triops' exoskeletons.

For most people, dechlorinated tap water will do the trick just fine. If your city or cistern water contains chemicals that are harmful to triops and can't be removed with dechlorinator, you may need to use water from another source.

Part 3: Types of Water You Can Use

Tap water

If you're going to use tap water, you'll need to know some things about your local water source. You should know whether it is "hard" (has a lot of mineral content in it) or "soft" (just the opposite); what its pH is; whether your water contains chlorine and/or chloramines; and whether anyone (perhaps your landlord?) adds other chemicals, like water softener (which changes the chemical composition of water). You should be able to find out any of this by calling your water company (and landlord, if you have one).

Based on what you find out about your water, you can decide whether it's going to work for hatching and/or keeping your adult triops.

Bottled water

I'm leery of bottled water. In the US, it's actually not safer than tap water; the government has put fewer restrictions on regulating its purity and safety than they have on tap water. Sometimes, it's just tap water put into bottles and trucked around the country. Sometimes it's spring water taken from third-world countries that need that water for their crops. Sometimes it's good, pure, clean water, or even RO/DI water (see below).

Bottled water should be used on a case-by-case basis. Read your labels carefully, research the company, and even test its hardness and pH with a test kit (you can get these at pet stores, or your pet store might test a sample for free).

Water from local ponds, creeks, lakes, etc.

Once again, research is important for determining whether this water will work for you. You might need to do some tests on this water - your local extension office can probably help you find a way to check it for pollutants, and you'll probably need to check it for hardness and pH, too.

Rain water

Rain water tends to have much less mineral content, but it can still have lots of pollutants. It can come from anywhere for miles around, so researching your local water won't necessarily help. I wouldn't use it, personally.

Distilled and RO/DI water

Both of these types of water have been filtered specially to remove virtually all traces of minerals and any harmful chemicals. These are perfect for hatching triops. If your tap water is unsuitable for adult triops, you will probably find that RO/DI water is much cheaper than bottled water. You can purchase it by the gallon in refillable jugs at many grocery stores. Just be sure that the dispensing machine is regularly maintained and doing its job properly!

If you do use it for adult triops, you'll have to add mineral content to keep the pH stable and help them form healthy exoskeletons. This is called "reconstituting" the water. Unless you're an expert in the ins and outs of water chemistry, you're best off using a commercial product for this. I happen to own Kent RO Right, and there are plenty of other brands as well.

I hope this article is helpful to you!

--------------------
"...Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her... Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away." --Gandhi

user posted image

Have: T. longicaudatus (regular*, Black Beauty*, gonochoric), T. granarius*, T. canciformis (regular, red/albino/Japanese, Bavarian), T. australiensis (regular, green, silver/Queensland), T. newberryi*, T. mauritanicus, clam shrimp, fairy shrimp (red-tailed, spiny-tailed), seed shrimp
(* = successfully hatched and raised to adulthood)
Want: T. canciformis simplex (those blue ones), T. canciformis green type, Lepidurus, giant T. granarius (so-called T. numidicus), beaver-tailed fairy shrimp
For sale: nothing ATM
XenoVaria
Posted: Aug 24 2011, 03:18 AM

Triops Longicaudatus

Group: Members
Member No.: 393

Thanks. It's helpful +1 biggrin.gif

--------------------
Triop Triop Triop!
triopz11
Posted: Dec 6 2011, 02:03 PM

Larva

Member No.: 496

i have used water from my fish pond

--------------------
TRIOPS R LEDGE
HelpMe-Thnx
Posted: Dec 6 2011, 03:38 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (XenoVaria @ Aug 24 2011, 03:18 AM)
Thanks. It's helpful +1 biggrin.gif

i just started sunday...
now i have 2 little white transp. things
i hope those 2 are triops not sea monkeys..
how can i see the differents or will that appear later?
and is 2 a good amount for 50% of the bag with eggs?
because i guess i did 1 thing wrong :S
i did the water in my tank and than the eggs
some people say it must be eggs -> water
but i have 2 creatures !
my water is 24 oC
and my lamp is 20h turned on
is this good?

Thnx!
three-fingers
Posted: Nov 8 2012, 10:22 PM

Egg

Member No.: 707

QUOTE (LilGreenPuffer @ Jul 22 2011, 08:51 PM)
I'm not entirely clear on why triops hatch better in water with little to no mineral content.

This article from MyTriops.com talks about pH levels and T. canciformis hatching success, so you may find it relevant, but keep in mind that it only covers one species and discusses pH rather than hardness. pH is related to hardness, but it's not the same thing.

Its because rainwater has little to no mineral content, clouds are evaporated water - rain is natures distilled water. Triops spp. cysts have a higher hatch rate in rainwater compared to established temporary pool water (of a higher mineral content) because rainwater indicates a newly forming pool, or at least a large top-up of an existing pool.

Distilled/reverse osmosis/rain or otherwise pure water all have a pH of 7, or just below 7 (dissolved CO2 lowers the pH). The longer a temporary pool sits without being rained on, the pH will be further from 7. It will be either higher or lower depending on the sediment/rock under the pool. Different branchiopod species have evolved in different environments so naturally have slightly increased hatch rates at different pH values compared to each other.

Nice informative article! smile.gif
path0s
Posted: Jun 17 2013, 09:48 AM

Egg

Member No.: 1,351

If anyone is looking for a tested water. I just hatched 3 out of 19 eggs in 20 hours. I may even get a couple more in the next day or 2. Nothing but the dish, a desk lamp, this water, and eggs. Be sure it says "ice mountain" and "100% natural spring water". There was another brand of spring water they had there that was worked over and purified. I got mine from Walgreens 2 days ago.

The label indicates a small calcium content in the nutritional value chart. I'm assuming that's a good thing since they have an exoskeleton.

create.php_%281%29.gif

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ice-mount...6054453-product
Anda199208
Posted: Aug 2 2013, 10:01 PM

Egg

Member No.: 2,848

Sorry I don't know create.php_%281%29.gif

--------------------
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Topic Options

web counter
web counter

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1989 seconds | Archive
TheTriopsForum.com 2010-2014. View and/or use of this site constitutes full agreement as authorized in the terms of use agreement and, as further noted: Material on this site is intended for your general use and information. Material is presented for educational purposes. You are free to copy and distribute any of the material so long as it is provided unaltered and complete including this copyright notice. To the fullest extent permissible by law TheTriopsForum.com and its volunteers and/or others acting under its control are irrevocably and unconditionally released from any and all liability to each person or organization using this site as a result of any information being incorrect. The material is made available on the understanding it does not constitute professional or expert advice. It may include views of third parties and does not necessarily reflect the views of TheTriopsForum.com, InvisionFree Network or any of its subsidiaries. Links to other web sites are inserted for your convenience and do not constitute endorsement of material at those sites, or any associated organization, product or service. See the separate Terms of Use.